Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bubblebows Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 09:39 AM
    A supervisor witnessed a conversation
    A supervisor was in a conversation with employees when at the cery end the associate used a sexual reference. The supervisor was in shock and didn't respond but reported it the next day. HR believes the supervisor condoned the conversation and should be repremanded... is this a correct action to take?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebows View Post
    A supervisor was in a conversation with employees when at the cery end the associate used a sexual reference. The supervisor was in shock and didnt respond but reported it the next day. HR believes the supervisor condoned the conversation and should be repremanded...is this a correct action to take?
    Hello:

If your company doesn't have a WRITTEN rule that requires supervisors to report any violation of policy IMMEDIATELY, then HR is NOT correct... HR cannot make up the rules any more than the supervisor can.

Nonetheless, if I was a supervisor in this situation, and my company backed the OTHER guy, I'd QUIT right now, TODAY.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 11:03 AM

A supervisor if he is unsure of what to do, reports it to his supervisor and/or HR.

If the company has a policy on it, and the supervisor has the authority to act, then they should have acted

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my supervisor divulge personal medical information to her supervisor and HR? [ 5 Answers ]

HIPPA Law in CO as it relates to substance abuse I took a two week absences from work to detox my body from alcohol and seek counseling from a CD Counselor. I work as a dental assistant at a prestigious university . I shared this information with my direct supervisor (the dentist) and asked...

In Virginia,if written document witnessed & notarized, can it legally be my will? [ 1 Answers ]

Stste of virginia resident. Divorced 20+yrs,one adult child, some $$ & a house but no 'estate' and I want to be sure child gets all.

Does the signature on my deed need to be witnessed? [ 2 Answers ]

Does the signature on my deed need to be witnessed? It wasn't.

I have witnessed strange things going on in my apt. [ 5 Answers ]

My family and I have moved into this apt. about 5 months ago. My younger brother has witness a dark figure moving towards him from my bedroom while I was in it resting. We wake up around 530am to drive mom to work after we got in vehicle we would see our porch light turn off as we backed out of...

Interesting facts I witnessed [ 2 Answers ]

I spent most of the day yesterday watching the first meeting of creditors at the local Bankruptcy court. I found some of the fact just amazing, About two in every 10 people did not have an attorney, they filed their own. Of the ones that had an attorney almost a third did not have their...

View more questions Search