Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WittyWenchUK Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
    Selling to an overseas buyer
    I've received a cheque from a buyer which is for considerably more than the asking price for a car that I am selling. They haven't seen the car due to them living overseas and the only form of contact that I've had with the buyer is via email, through which they say that the additional funds are so I can pay the shipper?

I've taken the cheque to the bank and explained my concerns. They checked the buyer's account details and couldn't find any problems, so I've deposited it into my account and the deadline for clearance is May 6th 2011. They advised me that should the cheque clear successfully it will indicate that there is money in the buyer's account, but until such time no payment can be made.

Would it be wise at that point to empty my account to test that the money is available and ensure they can't stop the cheque at a later date or would the bank charge me for being overdrawn?

Alternatively, should I just leave well alone and go to police about it now rather than later and let them deal with it all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 07:39 AM

I don't know if I would report this to the Police because at this point I don't know if there's anything to report but I do know I would run, run, run away from this.

I am aware of a similar situation in my area where the bank notified the account holder that the check WAS good, that the money WAS available. About three days later the account holder was advised that the account had been closed, there was no money - and he was out the entire amount!
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Apr 23, 2011, 07:41 AM

This is a tactic used by scammers. My advise would be not to pursue this any further. Was this sale made using Craigslist?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
    This is a well known SCAM, especially with high value items.

The cheque may well appear legit, but it will bounce, HARD!
    WittyWenchUK Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks for all your speedy replies :)

Suppose I did the wrong thing in depositting the cheque then because will more than likely incur charges... any advice as to what I should do, perhaps talking to the bank and seeing if they can stop the cheque in any way or will the damage already done?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 10:18 AM

Hello W:

If you didn't spend the money, there won't BE a charge for the check not clearing. Just forget about it. The check will bounce, and your account will be just like it was.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello W:

If you didn't spend the money, there won't BE a charge for the check not clearing. Just forget about it. The check will bounce, and your account will be just like it was.

excon

This must vary by banks. I deposted a check which bounced and I was charged $15. I certainly don't think that's fair, but that's how it is.

I didn't overdraw, there were no other problems, just the bounced check - the charge against me was for "handling."
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    the charge against me was for "handling."
    Hello again, Judy:

I handle myself every night, but nobody pays me for it...

I HATE banks, and I HATE my bank more than most. If it's only $15 or even $20, let's hope the OP has at least that much extra in her account.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 11:00 AM

This is a scam, normally a fake or stolen check ( almost always fake) from perhaps a real account.

In about 1 to 2 months, it comes back bad and you owe back any and all money you took out.

So yes you really screwed up by depositing the check. Do not send them any money, do not send them title to the car. That check will bounce.

The way it works, they want so many 1000 sent back, you do, and then in a few weeks, that first check bounce.

Bet they want the balance sent by Western Union correct.

Refuse to send them any money, no matter what they threaten,
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 11:21 AM

Hello again, W:

Here's what I would do. The bank has given you dates when they say the check will clear... Ask them to put in WRITING, that if the check bounces AFTER that date, the bank will honor it. If the bank says it will, spend the money.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling House Overseas [ 3 Answers ]

I am selling a house overseas. Do I have to pay taxes here in the United States.

My wife is selling here house overseas and we want to bring the money into the US. [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is a legal US resident from Singapore and we want to bring $130000 into the US to buy a house here.

$8000 New Home Buyer Credit - Selling to Fianc?e ? [ 4 Answers ]

Let me preface this questions with this fact: I am in no way trying to do something illegal or scam anything, just trying to see if we are able to take advantage of the new 8000 credit. Ok, so I purchased a home in June 2007 by myself, only me on the title, deed, mortgage,etc. I have a fiancée...

Re-selling in a +55 community - If I bought under 55, can I sell to a buyer under 55? [ 3 Answers ]

Say I purchases a house in a +55 community, but am under 55 years old. This is because there is a law saying that at least 20% of those who purchase in such a community CAN be under 55. I believe this is so that they cannot be accused for age discrimination. So, upon re-selling my home. ...

Buyer Selling a home they have on Land Contract [ 4 Answers ]

I have a land Contract on the home we live in now. We are getting a new home. I have been told to sale the house we live in now. Pay off the Land Contract and keep the profit. Can you do this? How? Thanks

View more questions Search