Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaz13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
    Australian mothers rights of new born baby?
    Hi my daughter is due to give birth soon and her ex partner (not married) has threatened to take her to court to get 50/50 custody of the baby. He said he'll win & she doesn't have a leg to stand on. While my daughter has agreed for him to have visitation but not until the baby has finished breast feeding or is around 1yr old. He can visit the baby regularly with supervision up until then, but she doesn't want him to take it to his place where there will only be the 2 of them. She's worried if he gets drunk he won't be able to look after the baby properly. He has no kids and doesn't know how involved it can be.If anybody can help us with this it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2011, 08:46 AM

This site addresses the question of custody of a child born to an unmarried couple - Australian Child Custody Laws- Know Your Rights!

It says: "The unmarried mother will normally be awarded sole physical custody.

There is normally nothing that the father can do in the early stages except to either come to some sort of an agreement with the mother, that failing he will have to commence legal action to gain custody or be entitled to some form of visitation rights."

She has control of the child until he goes to Court and gets an Order for visitation. Custody and visitation are two different things.

She should be prepared to PROVE he would be a danger to the child in the event he takes her to Court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody laws in ma? Do mothers have a right to their unborn baby [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 and I'm 12 weeks pregnant. The father and I are no longer together. Do I have to give the baby his last name? Just because it is his baby doesn't mean he's goiing to be there and support it, id rather do it on my own. If he were to take me to court to fight for the costody would he have an...

Is there any help for mothers who don't want to put their baby up for adoption? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I we currently stay in a hotel and he is the only one working at the moment. He is planning on attending school but his parents believe that us keeping the baby will hold us back and not be right for her... I don't want to give her up, is there any way that I can get some type of...

Does the father have rights before the baby is born even though I'm under age? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay my name is Anastasia and I'm 17 and pregnant and my boyfriend is the father who is 18. My parents didn't press charges or anything because they really cant. But they won't let me see him or anything. Even thought I'm underage does he still have rights before the baby iis born to see me and...

View more questions Search