Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ducsauce Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2011, 04:29 PM
    Nailing pickets to every unevenly spaced post... picket space question.
    I'm still trying to tackle my backyard fence project. I started nailing on pickets today but it did not go as well as I had envisioned. Initially, I wanted a picket to cover every post so you couldn't see a post while looking at the fence straight on. The problem is that not all posts are spaced evenly. I nailed a picket on the corner post and one on a post where the terrain is still the same (this was a span of about 5 posts). I then ran a string from top to top. This is my "go-by" so all pickets are in line at the tops. I'm using a picket (3.5") as a spacer but when I get to the end post with the picket already installed, I come up short.

What should I do?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2011, 06:07 AM

U can increase the spacing between pickets to make up the amount u are short or decrease it.

Measure the amount of area u are short and divide by number of pickets in area. If u have to add up to 1/4'' to the spacing it will not be very visible to the eye.

Chuck

Apr 22, 2011, 06:41 AM
    Comment on creahands's post
    Am I making a big deal out of seeing the posts? Is this common practice?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2011, 01:32 PM

The appearance is more professional looking when u don't see the posts, in my opinion.

If it is not too big a problem, adjust the spacing.

Good luck

Chuck

Apr 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Thanks for the help, Chuck. I redid the first section and it looks much better. Only 480 feet of fence to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nailing MDF [ 1 Answers ]

I have a brad nailer, using 18g brads, and am nailing into mdf. I'm having a problem with the brads pitting the mdf. What psi should I be using?

Spaced Out [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all… I’ve been browsing through this topic for a couple of days, and I could really use some feedback and an objective opinion regarding my situation. Jumping right to the chase, my boyfriend and I are currently taking some ”space” apart (at his insistence) as he wants time to sort out...

Paint Bidding - exterior pickets and rails [ 2 Answers ]

I have found much info here related to the painting business. Clough, you have been most helpful already. However, my question is a bit more specific. I am attempting to accurately bid an exterior job, mostly pickets, hand rails, and posts - a portion of which is screened in. Any suggestions? ...

Nailing Molding [ 7 Answers ]

Quick question: when nailing up molding (base and casing), *where* do you like to nail? Thinner edges, thicker edges? Closer to edge of molding? Closer to center of molding? FYI: I'm using MDF, to be painted. Thanks!

Limited space question. [ 5 Answers ]

I have some obstacles that limit the amount of initial drop (plumbing in a concrete slab) allowed in the bathroom group and wondered if it is OK to discharge a water closet directly into a sanitary tee (inlet of the tee pointing upwards)? Can the closet flange be shortened (sawed off) to further...

View more questions Search