Jan 24, 2007, 05:04 PM
    F1 on CPT NJ TAx
    Hey-

I was on Co-Op (CPT) in NJ.
    And I earned 31018$ last year. On W2 it says
    Federal 4500
    Social 2000
    Medical 450

Can u tell me why it says social and medical?
    Do I need to pay that?
    And How much I ll het back?

Thanks,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Need to know some things:

What country are you from?

When did you first arrive in the U.S.

Social means Social Security and Medical is probably Medicare tax.

Assuming you are an international student on a F-1 visa who arrived AFTER 2001, you should NOT be paying Social Security and Medicare taxes. Ask for a refund from your employer. When they refuse (and they will refuse), get the refusal in writing. You can then file Form 843 to get these taxes refunded to you.

If you need help submitting this Form 843 or filing your return, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

CPT Tax question [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I am on F1 Status for 2 years now in US. Working on CPT in New York City. I get paid monthly by the company, $ 5000.00 Tax withholdings 1348.61

F1 in CPT, OPT working -- tax forms [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I am in confusion over filing my tax forms this year. I am a F1 student from India came here to US in Aug 2003 and have been filing 1040 NR-EZ and 8843 for 03 and 04 tax years. In 2005, I was employed by my school from Jan to May and in June I started working fulltime...

F1 CPT / OPT Tax Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have some doubts regarding taxes deducted when I am on CPT (Curriculum Practical Training.. ) 1) Is the tax deductions same for CPT and OPT ? 2) How much is the tax deductions when I am on CPT or OPT ? 3) And does the Tax deduction different in different States ? 4) I am making 30$ per...

F1-CPT-H1 Dual status tax Questions [ 2 Answers ]

1. I am resident of India, single Entered USA on F-1 visa in Aug 1999 2. I converted from F1 to H1 last year 3. I was living in Texas until June 2004 , then moved to North Carolina to do a Co-Op. (for 2 months) 4. After my co-op, I started my full time job in NC in another Company from...

View more questions Search