Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zill1288 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2011, 03:43 AM
    Do I qualify for disability early withdrawl?
    NYS has given me total disability, however my employer still has me listed as active. Will I need to still pay the 10% penalty for early withdrawl?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 04:54 AM

If you employer has you listed as a active employee you can not even take a withdrawal, you can not withdraw until you no longer work there ( normally) you can do a loan.

Were you injured on a workers comp accident or do you have disablity coverage though where you work
    zill1288 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2011, 05:16 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Yes I was injured on the job and am receiving workers comp also SS Disability. I am 57 and could retire early. I really could use the money but don't want to get hit with the 10% penalty.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 07:07 AM

Zill: first thing to check is whether your employer would allow you to take a distribution while still an active employee. Talk to your plan administrator about that - some company plans do allow some active employees to take distributions depending on age, others don't. BTW - the IRS does mandate that alll plans allow withdrawals for certain "hardship" purposes - but disability is not one of those reasons. If they do allow you to take a distribution, you will NOT be hit with the 10% penalty IF you are totally and permanently disabled. And if you do retire and then take a distribution, you will not be hit with the 10% penalty because you would have been separated from service at age 55 or later (even if not totally and permanently disabled). Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Disability withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I have been unemployed from my job of 25 years for the past three years. I am unable to work due to physical and mental disabilities. I am 46 years old and am about to make my second withdraw from my 401k. I have read that if disabled, the 10% penalty can be waived. I am awaiting a court date...

Early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. Will I get a tax penalty if I wanted to withdraw my 401K early to attend school?

Early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have limited knowledge on 401(k) and have ben reading many articles on the net. I need advice on how to withdraw the amount from my 401(k) with minimum tax/penalty. I am 30 years old. I worked in US from 2002 - 2006 and invested in 401k. My company also contributed and this grew to...

Procedures to early withdrawal on 401k due to disability [ 1 Answers ]

I am 34 years old and I am in the middle of getting approved for visual disability. Once I am approved for SSDI, I am aware that I will be able to cash out my 401k without the 10% penalties. In doing so, what measures do I need to take to ensure the 10% early withdrawal penalty is not enacted. ...

View more questions Search