Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kalica9767 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Car Ownership under the age of 18
    My daughter is looking at purchasing a car - - she is 17. We were just told that she is unable to own a car if she is under 18. My question is, has anyone heard of this? Where can I go to get more information. I found this out from our Insurance agent, but he wasn't able to provide more information.
    Is there anyone else who has run into this same problem?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 03:29 PM
    In the US, a person under the age of 18 can not sign a legal contract, with the acception of those that are emancipated by the courts.

You can jointly own a car, but she can not own one in just her name normally.
    The issue will not actually be her putting the title in her name, but actually buying the car ( legal contract) and the insurance company, they can insure her as the principal driver, but not as the owner of the policy.

She also can't borrow money to buy one, so if she has the money in the bank to buy one, it is possible ( in some states) she could get the title in her name but you would have to be listed as the policy holder on the insurance.
    ronEi Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
    You can buy a car under the age of 18 if you have a guarantor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ownership of Propane [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a home on the 12th(all papers signed sealed, etc). The home is heated by electric and wood. A propane tank is used for the stove and water heater. The purchase agreement did not specify any particulars, yet on the 26th, the prior owner contacted the propane tank...

Domain Ownership [ 2 Answers ]

Help, First, thanks for having this site. And I'm glad to have joined Background: Now. I created a website called LGBTNation.org. because I was working at another site that was using all my talents for free, and they were making money. So I started my site. Because I have good network...

Ownership of the media [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me answer the following question: What is the direct and indirect ownership of the media? How might it be viewed as a threat to democracy? What do you think?

Car ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I helped a friend of our daughter purchase a car several months back. He is a minor. The agreement was that we would help him purchase the car, transfer the title directly to his Mother and she would pay the insurance premiums. Since that time his Mom has informed us that she no...

View more questions Search