Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hibou Posts: 58, Reputation: 0

Apr 20, 2011, 08:10 AM
    Enlarged Screen and Distorted Colours on Windows XP Startup
    On startup, after the Windows screen I have a black screen with 'Choose system to start' and, in brilliance 'Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition'.
    Windows then starts with a very large screen and lettering with distorted colours ( as if it was in a strange 'mode').
    When I right click screen 'Properties' then 'Parameters' it is impossible to change the screen resolution from 640x480 pixels as it just reverts to the same figure.
    PS.Attempts to restore system to previous dates have not had any effect.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2011, 08:13 AM
    The first think I would try would be to reinstall the correct updated drivers for your video card.
    It sounds like you may have had a dual boot system and you got rid of one operating system, is that the case?

Apr 21, 2011, 02:47 AM
    To Need Karma.
    Received email stating that you had replied but no reply appears on AM Help Desk.
    Can you re-send please?

Apr 21, 2011, 03:39 AM
    Now have the reply,thanks.I am writing this on my laptop.The problem is on my PC,Packard Bell,Windows XP.
    Have not had a dual boot system.
    However I recently downloaded 'SlimDrivers',a free program for updating drivers.It found 12 drivers to update and asked if I wished to create a restore point,which I did. I commenced the download of the first one(NVIDIA)which I think is the video, but it seemed to 'freeze'half way through the download so I assumed that the download had failed.This must be the cause of the problem.
    I have tried without success,in 'SafeMode'to do a restore on SlimDrivers.
    Will now see if I can reinstall correct updated drivers for video card unless you have other suggestions.

Apr 21, 2011, 06:17 AM
    This time I am writing from my PC!
    Re-installed drivers for Video Card and problem solved.
    Many thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread, darn job of mine LOL.
    I'm glad it all worked out. Cheers!

Apr 22, 2011, 01:34 AM
    Hello again Need Karma,
    Regret bothering you again but now find that before each Windows startup I still have black screen asking to 'Choose System To Start' with 'Windows XP Home Edition' highlighted.Can you please tell me how to stop this screen appearing?
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2011, 02:15 AM
    That's the reason I asked if you had a dual-boot systen previously. That kind of screen sounds like a boot manager, a small program that asks which of several operating systems you'd like to run. If you can get any more details from that screen that would be great, usually boot managers have their name on that screen. I'm assumin it's the Windows Boot Manager. Try reading here:
    How to get rid of vista boot manager in windows 7? - Yahoo! Answers

Apr 22, 2011, 02:17 AM
    After sending last query found this after 'googling'.
    Read REPLIES - John Barnett MPV. This seems to have fixed it. Thanks again.

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/black-screen-startup-says-select-microsoft-xp-home-editio-help-154359281.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer screen distorted [ 3 Answers ]

I need help in getting my computer screen clear. All pictures and backgrounds are distorted. What can I do? Please help if you can. Thanks.

Monitor screen enlarged too big to find change button [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Gateway GT5692 Vista It gives a selection to make screen fonts larger. I chose the largest, 120 dpi I think or maybe larger than that. Anyway, screen suddenly went so large it overextended the computer monitor, that is, the button to change it back to normal went BELOW the screen so I am...

Screen distorted [ 1 Answers ]

My computer was running slow so I had to restart it. When it came back on the print/icons are jumbo and the screen is distorted. Everything is really fuzzy! Please help! My anti virus said everything is protected. Thank you!

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp

View more questions Search