Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steelspring Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 08:50 PM
    Am I guilty of embezzling money from my own company if it's all my money?
    I formed my own company and invested about $3000 to start it up. I got into some personal financial troubles and had no choice but to dip into the company coffers. It is an S Corp and I am 100% owner with all investments. I feel guilty about it all around, but now that it's tax time (first time filing) I have to ask about the legal ramifications of my actions as well as how it will effect my bookkeeping/taxes. Embezzlement? Bad business practices?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 08:55 PM

Repayment of loan to start business

Salary

You can pay yourself money many ways, how you account for the payment will determine the taxes you owe on the money you took out
    Steelspring Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Repayment of loan to start business

salary

you can pay yourself money many ways, how you account for the payment will determine the taxes you owe on the money you took out
    Awesome. Yes, that makes sense and answers another question of giving myself a "reasonable salary."

I guess I'll be honest on this first time around and put whatever I took out into the salary and wages category if my books.

Thanks for the input! It'll suck with taxes, but I'm learning...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2011, 06:13 PM
    Not embezzlement, you money. Treat it as salary and then pay taxes. Make it "profit sharing".
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2011, 10:55 AM

Exactly, you have only tapped into money that is 100% yours, you can say is income and pay the tax, or say it is a loan to yourself and then pay the company back whenever you can, without interest ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes like this."money money money, money?" [ 5 Answers ]

Do you know the artists name?

Who sings the song that goes, Money, money, money, money? [ 12 Answers ]

Who sings the song that goes something like this... Money, Money,Money, Money?

Who sings the song forget about the money money money ? [ 2 Answers ]

Who sings the song forget about the money money money

I bailed myself out of jail but plead guilty to a charge do I get the money back [ 3 Answers ]

I was out on bail went to court plead guilty to a charge got a feloni & probation do I get tha money I bailed myself out wit back

View more questions Search