Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justinbieber123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 07:38 PM
    What are flats, sharps, or naturals?
    Learning how rto play an instroment on my own!
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Apr 19, 2011, 07:58 PM

A sharp means that you raise a note up by a half-step. A half-step is the "space" between two adjacent keys on a piano, (regardless of color) or the space from one fret to the next on a fretted instrument like a guitar, for example. When I say "space", I really mean the change in pitch. A half-step corresponds to an increase in frequency of about 5.9463%. If you know the theme song to the movie Jaws, those two repeating notes at the beginning are a half-step apart.

A flat is the opposite of a sharp; it means that you lower a particular note by a half-step.

A C-sharp is the same pitch as a D-flat. A D-sharp is the same pitch as an E-flat. Etc.

A natural means that you do neither; you play the note without raising or lowering (on a piano, for example, any natural note will end up being a white key).

If you're wondering why there would be a symbol for a natural, it's because music is often written in keys that automatically have certain notes which are always played with a sharp or a flat. The natural symbol is to override that default. For example, if a piece of music is written in the key of G major, each musical staff in its sheet music would have a sharp symbol on the line corresponding to the note F. That notation implies that all F's within the music are to be played as F# (F-sharp, i.e. F raised by a half-step), unless specifically directed otherwise (which would be done with a "natural" symbol if the F# was supposed to be lowered by a half-step).

One more thing: Some natural notes are only separated by a half-step. E and F are one pair; B and C are the other. That's why, when you look at a piano, there are fewer black keys than white keys. The black keys are missing between each E-F and B-C pair of white keys. For those notes a sharp or flat still means the same thing - you raise or lower the pitch by a half-step. A B-sharp, for example, is the same note as a C-natural. A C-flat is the same note as a B-natural. The same goes for E and F.

Hopefully that makes sense for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tattooing with seven flats [ 0 Answers ]

I have been slingin ink for about two years and I still have trouble the flats! I do great with stacked mags and rounds but I want to figure out the flats any pointers?

Water leakage through wall of the bathrooms from above flats in the apartment [ 0 Answers ]

Our apartment is 4 year old and we are staying in the 4th floor. There is water leakage from our bathroom to the celing of the bathroom of the 3rd floor flat(Down stair flat).We also found water leakage(water dripping) just outside of our apartment wall between the two flats bathroom ceiling.We...

Converse v.s. Ballet flats for the skinny jean [ 5 Answers ]

OK so I'm wanting to try the skinny jean style for back to school and I'm thinking a black jean to start. Does this work w/ double layer high top converse (first layer is white w/ colorful design)? And if that's not a faverable look, I have ballet flats for a back up but would my converse work? Or...

View more questions Search