Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    da6paki Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Monitor doesn't show anything although computers on
    Hi, my computer monitor has stopped working from today and for no reason whatso ever. I was using the computer when the screen went a bit fuzzy and dark for some reason, I thought ill restart and it'll be OK but when I restarted nothing. No signal nothing, there's no problems with the monitor as it turns on OK and there is power going to it and there no problem with the cable as I checked and all the pins are there and none are bent or anything on top of that I turned the cable round by switching ends and trying and still no luk? The worse thing is my TV out is not working as well.

I used to have my TV connected to the computer and after I rearranged my room and tried to connect nothing comes up on the TV. Shortly before the monitor went bad I went to nvidia properties and clicked on force detect TV and it did it but still no signal on the TV, it would just give a slightly fuzzy screen as if its almost connected but not getting the whole signal.

But that isn't my biggest worry I need to somehow sort out the monitor. Any ideas guys? I was thinking maybe something's happened to the drivers.

p.s. as of yet I haven't been able to try the monitor on another PC I'm going to try doing that soon
    hadi88 Posts: 59, Reputation: 5

Jan 26, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Though I am not an expert, but hey nothing wrong to drop your thoughts.

As you said that there is nothing wrong with the monitor, I would say, it could be a video card problem, maybe it's not sitting properly in the slot, some how it moved, but before you open up the case, make sure you connect you monitor with another cpu with friends' or somebody else' to see that there is nothing wrong with the monitor, if the monitor is 100% OK, then would open up the case and graciously tighten the video card. If that does not solve the problem then might have to buy a new video card.

Just a thought, ignore it if it's futile.
    Hadi88
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jan 26, 2007, 03:35 PM
    It sounds like you are using a CRT monitor? How old is it?

My 19" CRT that I had for 7 years (replaced it with an LCD), started going fuzzy, dim, fading in and out. Had to slap the sides a few times to get the video back. Perhaps this is happening to you also?

If the monitor is having the issues, then your TV out is not going to show anything either.

Jan 28, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Hey, thanks a lot 4 your thoguht guys I appreciate all the help I've got on this problem.
    Let me tell you the latest -
    I've got a hold of a working agp video card which I slot into my computer and connected the monitor to it and still no signal.
    Then I took my monitor to a friends PC where it worked and the signal came fine. So of course nothing up with the screen nor the video card. Now I'm thinking there's summin up with the motherboard and got a friend telling me something up with the electronics. I'm getting to the point where its really doing my head in and I just feel like throwing the whole thing into the bin!

Feb 5, 2007, 08:04 AM
    So nobody got any ideas on what is up?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
    When you moved your PC, something may have came loose. Check all internal connections, like reseating the video card, the ram, cables etc.

Try booting with just the TV connected instead of the monitor. Maybe the TV is being used as the primary display..

Feb 5, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Hey thanks 4 that that HVAC but tried all that no luk.
    Steve_C Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Could you post the system information. Motherboard make and model, OS your using. etc..
    If you have motherboard that has a built in video card ( there will be a 15 pin connector there) where you can plug your monitor directly in the back where the keyboard and mouse connectors are then try to connect the monitor there and see if for some odd reason your BIOS settings were set to turn on the built in video. If you do not have one built in then it will be difficult to troubleshoot as I cannot read up on the what you have to see if it's a jumper or setting problem. Most motherboards will give you beep errors when things are not working right and you did not mention any beeping.

I was just thinking also if the motherboard is the culprit you can always have the cards tested in another system to verify that it is in fact the motherboard.
    My approach is to first remove all devices and cables from everything except the motherboard and leave just the video card plugged in. if you can get it to work with just that then you have a faulty device that is hampering with things. I have had case fans go out and cause power problems. Just do not disconnect the CPU fan. You can see if its working by looking at it. It will either run fast and smooth if its good or sluggish or run lopsided if its bad. One by one start plugging back in each device and ensure you can still get video and a system Bios screen. You might also check the power supply as they tend to go bad and start leaking in a way that makes them seem OK. There are cheap testers out there. I bought one and used it to tell a friend that his power supply is not supplying the necessary 12 volts for the CPU to function. He had a dead board problem.

If you still need help you can email me or post here the specs and a detailed description when turning on the system. This includes any noises such as whinning or beeping sounds.

Steve C.

Feb 27, 2007, 12:33 AM
    hey, thanks a lot for that detailed and long reply stevie c. I really appreciate all the help. I don't no what is up with it but I will try everythin u said and gt back to the forum. In the meantime I've gone out and bought a new motherboard and processor. Spent around 150 odd quid and now of course its working. I'm going to put my old motherboard and processor in an antique computer lyin round at home and see if it works.

thanks again

by the way my computer was an amd athlon 1ghz processor
    asus a7n8x motherboard.
    psu 450w 12v, eye t & t
    onboard nvidia graphics - don't no da type I think geforce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Computers [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to do a scandisk on my PC. I am told that it is better if I put PC in safe mode first. How do I do that?

Computers [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can hookup one computer to an other computer and download files from one to another even if they are not the same make and how I can do it?

Does he or doesn't he? [ 66 Answers ]

About 6 months ago my fiancée, told me he fancied a friend of ours - I took it very much to heart, he promised nothing nothing every happened he said he told me because he wanted to be totally honest with me. So I've accepted that and moved on and I also learnt to respect his honesty. Anyway.. 2...

View more questions Search