Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
    Calling all sewers!
    Okay, I thought there was a sewing forum. I could have sworn I saw one once. I can't find it, so I'm putting my question here. Mods, feel free to move it if it's not in the right place.

My kids are growing like weeds. I can sew a little bit, but not well. I'd love to be able to make them some clothes, I have tons of material, just don't have the skills to sew anything other then basic things.

Anyone have any tips. Sewing for dummies? An easy way to understand patterns? I'm lost, and most times I just wing it.

We need to save some money, and sewing clothes for the kids would really help. Summer is coming, so shorts, shirts, sun dresses for my daughter. Things like that.

I'm desperate. I can't find anything that's easy.

Darnit, I wish I had asked my mom to teach me while she was here. Too late now. Thank Dog I have all of you. Impress me with your knowledge, you always do. :)
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 09:13 PM

Okay, that's weird. I just got an email advising me to bump my question. I thought we didn't like it when people bump.

Well, since I got the go ahead via email... bump, bump, bumpity bump. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 09:36 PM

My mom and 4-H taught me how to sew by hand and on a machine. Have you looked at Simplicity patterns? (Butterick are more difficult.) Do you have a sewing machine and know how to use it for making seams?
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My mom and 4-H taught me how to sew by hand and on a machine. Have you looked at Simplicity patterns? (Butterick are more difficult.) Do you have a sewing machine and know how to use it for making seams?

I have my moms sewing machine, and after a lot of trial and error, I've figured it out. :)

It's a good machine. After all, my mom sewed for a living.

I've tried the Simplicity patterns. For me it's the terms that throw me off. I can cut the pattern, follow the pattern, but then they'll throw in some sewing term I don't know how to decode.

Usually at that point I get frustrated and just sew it the way I feel like sewing it. Sometimes it works, other times, not so much.

Either way, you can tell that the clothes that I make are made by me. When my mom sewed all her clothes looked store bought. They were gorgeous. I'm not expecting to get as good as she was, I'd just like to sew clothes my kids can actually wear in public. ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 09:40 PM

This one looks pretty basic (for Syd) --

SewingPatterns.com
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2011, 09:42 PM

I could be your email or phone sewing consultant.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Apr 22, 2011, 09:55 PM

I think the easiest things to sew are PJs and little handbags (.. they are the only things I know how to sew).

For pajamas, you can just trace a pair of your own. You just have to fold the legs as if you are folding dress pants to iron. Then trace, copy, and sew. The hard part is sewing the "belt" part and hem. You can find patterns at Walmart though. They come in little packages near the craft/sew area.

Pajamas are good for starters because they are easier to make than some other clothes. Plus if you mess up you're just wearing them to bed so you won't have to be seen in public wearing them :p

To sew a handbag or pouch, you just slap two pieces two cloth together and sew. You can make little pockets on it too and sew cute buttons on. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing tree roots from sewers [ 5 Answers ]

I have tree roots in my sewer, what is the best way to remove these without replacing the section of sewer?

Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling,Marie will you keep calling me [ 2 Answers ]

"Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling, Marie will you keep calling me" Every time the word"calling" is sung, it's held and rises. Any hints re anything? Title, artist, lyrics? Probably early 1950s.

Where are they calling from? [ 1 Answers ]

If I have somebody phone my ouse and they always phone *67... so I won't know where they are phoning from. How can I find out where they are phoning from?

Who's calling? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been receiving a private call on my phone, how do I unblock the call and final who has been insulting me Moved to own thread Scott<> You should not piggyback your question on someone else's thread.

View more questions Search