Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigburger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 07:09 PM
    How do I get my puppy to stay out longer whe
    When ever I take my dog out to potty it instantly wants to get beck in the house it doesn't matter weather its hot or cold he is seven weeks old almost eight and I am crate training him he is a chihuahau
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 07:23 PM

He is a baby, just be patient and stay with him. Praise and treats will help teach him to trust you and respect will follow. Take him for a long walk about 30-40 minutes after he has eaten, keep walking until he does the deed, praise him with a treat. How often are you feeding him?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 07:23 PM

How did you get such a young puppy? He should still be with his mother.

He is a baby and isn't used to being outdoors. He doesn't understand what you want him to do.

Our dog experts will be here soon and will give you good ideas for training him. He won't train himself, so please gather together your patience and good sense.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 19, 2011, 02:07 PM
    Long ago, well about 1960, dog raising wasn't so scientific, but somehow the information was that 7 weeks was the appropriate time to separate pups from Mom. Staying in the litter longer was exposing them to possible intimidation by stronger litter mates, and thus interfering with their social development. Also at that age they tended to identify with their new family more easily. So, it may not be the currently correct thing to do, but don't worry about stealing him from his mother at this tender age.

A 7 week old puppy isn't up to long walks, or even receptive to any real training. If you get any positive response to his crate training, great, but do not be disappointed if not. While you can start rudimentary training, such as learning to walk on lead properly, as early as 3-4 months old, be forgiving of mistakes, strong on praise, and absent on 'correction'. You can start being a bit more demanding and less forgiving with the 'sit-stay-come-heel' stuff after they get to 6 months or so. Let their response to being trained also guide the speed which you may introduce new stuff. Some dogs pick up on 'what to do' faster than others. Whether that is a sign of a smarter dog or a better trainer..?. The jury is still out on that.

Puppy eliminations of both kinds are spur of the moment things, not having a lot of control over them at this early age. The feel the urge to go, they go... wherever they may be. Part of successful crate training is to keep the puppy "empty", so to speak, in order that he doesn't soil the crate and begin to think that is the normal thing to do. When he begins to act restless, and maybe walk in tighter little circles, think first of him having to go potty, and head for the selected potty spot with him. Try not to frighten him in your haste, OK?

Apr 19, 2011, 02:31 PM
    I guess I didn't really address your question. So, I suspect that little Chihuahua is frightened of many things outdoors, to the point of running for the security of an enclosed space (outdoors has no ceilings, right?) And grass... that's up probably rubbing on his belly as he walks. And trees, and other loud(to a dog) sounds, and smells? He isn't old or brave enough to be 'curious', just afraid of the unfamiliar.

Try going outdoors with him, not to potty, just to acquaint him with the concept of 'outdoors'... carry him and 'discuss' what you see with him. Introduce him to things, being careful not to be too forceful if he is really not wanting to find out about 'it'. You are trying to communicate with something that is totally dependent on sensory information to gain it's knowledge. One of the first things you need to establish is that you are like home base, kings-ex, if you will, the safety zone in the middle of the street. The 'go -to person' when things get scary. Get that accomplished and he will follow you through fire! Well, maybe.
    bigburger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
    He pottys very well he just doesn't like to be outside but he is getting a lot better

Apr 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Sounds like he is beginning to realize why he is outdoors, which could be worse! And he may be beginning to realize the more fun things of 'the Outdoors'.

Be patient. Too soon he will be no longer a puppy. Often, with kids, we tend to rush them through the 'troublesome' developmental stages, then wonder, when they start getting married off, 'where has the time all gone?'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much longer can a homeowner stay in his house after foreclosure sale? [ 3 Answers ]

Foreclusure (trustee) sale is on jan 7. no bidders therefore, title revert back to lender. Notice to vacate in 3 days served. How much longer can the homeower stay in the property? After the trustee sale, homeowner is now a squatter. Is there a squatter (former homeowner) right to stay over...

My briggs and stratton 10hp won't stay running for longer than 5 minutes. [ 0 Answers ]

I have had a dead short on my 10hp briggs and stratton ( motor number 251707-0149 ) and it would'nt charge. I replaced the stator so now the dead short is fixed, it is charging only slightly though. It will run for about 5 minutes or less then the ignition ( replaced points with electronic many...

Italian postdoc in the US, Do I have to pay taxes if I will stay longer than 2 years? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am italian, I came in the US to work as post-doc (research scholar) in April 2009 with a J1 visa that will expire in 1 year. Probably I will stay in the US longer than 1 year, maybe 3 or 4 and I was told that I have a tax exemption for the first 2 years. If I will stay here longer than 2...

J-1 visa tax exemption. If stay longer than 2 years? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1. I'm J-1 visa holder (research fellowship). I know that I can exempt all taxes for 2 years. If I work in US longer than 2 years, how's about tax ? Do I have to pay tax for the past two years ? Or I just start paying tax on since the third year? 2. In case I change to F-1 student visa...

Pilot Light of my furnace does not stay lit for longer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The pilot light of my furnace does not stay stay lit very long. I have been having this problem for a while. Last time it lasted only for 2 days and after that just went off. Things I have done to prevent that: 1. Changed the thermo couple (copper) (the coil is longer than needed or...

View more questions Search