Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pipercollins35 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Gas Forced Air vs. Boiler
    I think I'm a little off the wall here since I haven't seen this question asked this way anywhere else, but here goes:

Would anyone ever recommend replacing an existing gas/forced air heating system with a gas boiler and radiators for hydronic heat?

I know that all things equal, I would prefer the hot water heat... more steady, not as dry, not as noisy, etc. But here's my situation, I'm looking into buying an 1898 house that has existing gas/forced air. The furnace works fine, but it is old and will need to be replaced soon.

The easiest and cheapest approach is obviously to replace the old furnace with a modern high-efficency furnace and blower. But if I have to make any investment at all, how outrageous would it be to run plumbing instead of the existing ductwork? Near as l can tell, actual energy efficiency would be comparable either way. Is it possibly worth additional cost and effort to have more "comfortable" hot water heat? Or is it likely to just be too much cost and effort?

Any thoughts?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 02:30 PM
    I'll tell you the story of my home. I bought a 30 year old all electric home with ceiling cable heat (expensive and not at all comfortable heat) and no A/C (no ductwork). If I had my choice I would have put in radiant hydronic floor heat. And a couple mitsubishi Mr Slim A/C units.

Baseboard heat is fine, but no comparison to the even, uniform comfort of the radiant floor tubing systems out there today. After comparing cost, even though I was doing it myself, and all the construction required to get the tubing around the house I opted for the forced air system. Also with radiant floor heat I would have had a thermostat in each room, since my living room, weight room and den are hardly ever used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on [ 6 Answers ]

My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up. The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater. The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed

Forced air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

;) Gas forced air heating, I like to know if there is a way to change the temperature difference between stop and start, for example instead of 68-start and 73 stop change too 70 start and 73 stop ,

Day & Night forced air heater keeps blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday my heater was working as normal. Today I replaced the filter in my Day & Night forced air heater. Later I bumped my thermostat when walking by it, but I'm not certain that this caused the problem. My heater turned on and blew hot air. I turned it all the way down, but the fan...

Forced air heater [ 1 Answers ]

Blows 3 amp fuse. After fuse blows fan comes on. Ignitor works prior to fuse blowing but no gas. One resistor on board appears to have black mark.

No forced air out of a duct in bedroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm living in an old farmhouse, renovated over the years by various people. We are new to the house. Our forced hot air system works great in all the bedrooms and rooms except our 2nd floor bedroom(this is the master bedroom). We get no air out of our vent. I checked in the basement for...

View more questions Search