Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    broke2011 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Unpaid credit cards canada?
    Hello, Can anyone tell me if a credit card debt that I was unable to pay for can they put a judgement on your home (that has a mortgage on it still) I received a letter in the mail not registered just regular mail from a lawyer stating further to the filing of a writ of seizure and sale. Can this credit card company seize and sell our home over a credit card debt?? Please help I am desperate for any help and info. Thank You
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2011, 11:35 AM

First things first... did the credit card company ever win a judgement against you in a court. Even if you failed to show up?
    broke2011 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 02:01 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Hello Smoothy, Thank you for your quick response, No there has been no judgement placed against us and have not even heard from this credit card company for over a year and a half. Until this letter showed up today in the mail from a lawyers office ( they are actually real estate lawyers). So , I don't know if they are just trying to get us to respond back to them or they can actually seize and force us to sell our home. I have never heard of this happening to anyone before. I actually think it is about $30, ooo. That we owed on this card. Please any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank You
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 02:54 PM

They can not do anything unless they first win a judgement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 18, 2011, 03:58 PM

Are you sure they never filed suit and obtained a judgement previously? Sounds like they may be warning you they will be filing a writ pursuant to a judgment. $30K is a lot of money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unpaid credit card debt in canada [ 5 Answers ]

If I took cash advanced from credit cards in amount of 25g in canada and moved to states, where I own a house, car, have family, kids, etc... would the credit card companies be able to collect the money/sue/arrest me/kill me... etc?

If you go to court over unpaid credit cards, what can they do to you? [ 2 Answers ]

We have credit card debt and have not been able to settle it with the creditors.We went with a debt company and ended up getting sued before the 36 month program was finished.they were to settle it for 50% they told us. They have been no help and we were behind because of the recession. Now were...

Visa unpaid credit, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada; I was out of the country for about 3 years I just came back, I have unpaid credit for the visa about $16,000 this is an old credit for about 3 years I noticed the collection agencies tried to reach me during this time What shall I do now? What the collection...

View more questions Search