Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pop000 Posts: 352, Reputation: 6

Apr 18, 2011, 02:54 AM
    Dipole and Resonance
    I got 2 questions that says:

1)i need to draw another 2 Resonance structure to the molecule in the red frame.
    In the blue frame you can see my tried and I am not sure if is correct.

2) I need to decide if this molecule ( I speak about the molecule in the red frame)has a Dipole, so I mark in blue arrow the Electronegativity where is will be more strong,but is hard to decide if it have a Dipole.

So I need help here.
    Thanks.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Apr 18, 2011, 05:40 AM
    The two structures that you have drawn are indeed the two resonance structures for asprin.
    There is polarity in the carboxylate groups (-COOR and -COOH) but the molecule will be only slightly polar. That's why is is poorly soluble in water.
    Do you need a total of FOUR resonance structures? You can draw charged structures with the C=O groups but I wouldn't consider them true resonance structures.
    pop000 Posts: 352, Reputation: 6

Apr 18, 2011, 06:08 AM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    I need to draw only 2 resonance structures 1 I showed you and other I will do.
    About the has a Dipole you says that there is a polarity so I believe there is a Dipole ?
    Thanks for answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dipole Moment, NO3-, XeF4, SF3+, Chemisty, [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to figure out if the following: NO3-, XeF4, SF3+, have DIPOLE MOMENT. Why do they have or don't have dipole moments? :confused: :confused: I am so bad at this :( :( THXXXXX :p :p

Resonance [ 3 Answers ]

I've recently entered the wonderful world of O-Chem and seem to have some issues with resonance. I understand that it's just another way of looking at where electrons are, but I have some issues moving them around properly. For example: N3CH3 CH3-N=N=N ...

Does if matter which side of a dipole contactor is used as L1/L2 and T1/T2? [ 0 Answers ]

The label has been worn off my dipole contactor and I cannot determine which side is L and which is T. I have a handmade diagram showing which wires connect to which positions relative to each other, but I don't know if I have the contactor reversed or not. Does it matter which side I treat as L1/2...

Resonance energy in phenol [ 1 Answers ]

Ques 1:why is the resonance energy in phenol greater than benzene... Ques 2:what does it mean to say a compound is coplanar?

View more questions Search