Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
    simple pendulum

A simple pendulum with mass m = 1.4 kg and length L = 2.76 m hangs from the ceiling. It is pulled back to an small angle of θ = 8.2° from the vertical and released at t = 0, and I figured out the period of oscillation is 3.33s.

1. At t = 0, what is the magnitude of the net force on the pendulum bob? I used newton's second law and it doesn't work

2. What is the maximum speed of the pendulum? I used conservation of energy, I assume it has the maximum energy when the pendulum is at the lowest; but that way of solving is not working

3. What is the angular displacement at t = 3.8 s? (give the answer as a negative angle if the angle is to the left of the vertical) what formula and value should I used for this problem?

4. What is the magnitude of the tangential acceleration as the pendulum passes through the equilibrium position? What is the magnitude of the radial acceleration as the pendulum passes through the equilibrium position?
    how can I solve this problem, no idea!

5. Which of the following would change the frequency of oscillation of this simple pendulum?
    a. increasing the mass: no because w=sqrt(g/L), mass doesn't matter
    b. decreasing the initial angular displacement, no because w=sqrt(g/L), angular displacement is not a variable
    c. increasing the length, yes because w=sqrt(g/L), length would change it.
    d. hanging the pendulum in an elevator accelerating downward; I think it is yes because gravity is part of the formula of w=sqrt(g/L)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2011, 08:18 AM

Could you show how you got the 3.33s for the period of the oscillation? :confused:
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    It is given in the problem
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 09:25 AM

Oh sorry, I must have typed another constant instead of the one I intended to use in my computer calculator... (I miss my calculator :( )

You need to use the formula to get the maximum acceleration of the bob.

You can use:

(at t = 0, a = max, hence cos (wt) = max = 1; there's no need to put phase difference)

You can get A I hope.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple Pendulum [ 1 Answers ]

A pendulum is oscillating with small amplitude when its string is slowly started to be pulled thus decreasing the pendulum length, but at a vanishingly small rate. By what factor does the amplitude change when the string becomes half of its original length?

Simple Pendulum [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone knows an answer for this question? 1. Suggest the conditions required for a pendulum to swing continuously. 2. If a pendulum is made to swing in water, compare the time taken for this pendulum to come to a complete stop with the time taken by a pendulum swinging in air. Explain...

Non simple answers to simple Yes/no questions. [ 18 Answers ]

Not knowing exactly where to put this, I'll try relationships: Alult male son and elderly mother. I'll start by an example: It's bedtime and, the kitchen light is currently on and her pills are usually on the kitchen table. Son asks, "Mom, do you need to come back into the kitchen?" ...

Simple pendulum [ 2 Answers ]

The length of a simple pendulum is 0.760m the pendulum bob has a mass of 365g and it is released at an angle of 12.0 degres to the vertical. a) With what frequency does it vibrate? Assume SHM. b) what is the pendulum bob's speed when it passes through the lowest point of the weing? c) What is the...

Simple pendulum [ 1 Answers ]

How long must a simple pendulum be if it is to make eactly one swing per second? (that is one complete vibration takes exatly 2.0s)

View more questions Search