Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 03:50 PM
    oscillation problem

A block with mass m = 7.7 kg is attached to two springs with spring constants kleft = 28 N/m and kright = 56 N/m. The block is pulled a distance x = 0.25 m to the left of its equilibrium position and released from rest. The time the block to return to equilibrium for the first time is 0.476s, and speed of the block as it passes through the equilibrium position is 0.825m/s

Question: 1. Where is the block located, relative to equilibrium, at a time 1.14 s after it is released? (if the block is left of equilibrium give the answer as a negative value; if the block is right of equilibrium give the answer as a positive value)?
    how to write the position in a function of time? I got 0.145m and it is the wrong answer

2. What is the net force on the block at this time 1.14 s? (a negative force is to the left; a positive force is to the right)? I got -12.18 N, is that right?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2011, 09:08 AM

Could you post your work please? How did you get 0.145 m?

Then, the easiest way to get F is to first get a,

western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    so A=Vmax*Sqrt(m/K)=0.249, and then y(t)=-0.249sin(w*t), where w=3.303, and t=1.14, that's how I got 0.145m
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 08:36 AM

Um... you don't need to use the formula since when the mass is pulled on the left, that's the maximum potential energy it gets and hence, cannot go further than 0.25 m to the left (which is the amplitude).

Then, here you have to use:

or

Because you at t = 0, the mass is not at displacement 0 m, but has a 'lead' (or path difference) or pi/4.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics Oscillation Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Okay everyone Last Question I have today I promise! Given: A 2.1-kg mass attached to a spring oscillates with an amplitude of 9.0 cm and a frequency of 4.0 Hz. Questions:What is its energy of motion? This is what I have so far. E= K+U so; (1/2)mv^2+(1/2)kx^2 v=0 so we are left with...

Oscillation in hurry thanks [ 1 Answers ]

On your first trip to Planet X you happen to take along a 175 mass, a 40-cm-long spring, a meter stick, and a stopwatch. You're curious about the acceleration due to gravity on Planet X, where ordinary tasks seem easier than on earth, but you can't find this information in your Visitor's Guide....

Oscillation of a pendulum [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a question about oscillation of a pendulum. "I want to make vacuum in the place and hang a pendulum there in order to constant oscillation , because I've heard that the only force making damped oscillation is the force of air molecules." Is the above sentence scientifically correct...

Simple harmonic oscillation problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a physic problems for university please help me if you could solve this problem. I really appreciate your help thank you A weight which mass 1 kg, tied to a spring with spring constant (k) = 100 pi^2 N/m. The spring had a simple harmonic oscillation (in cosinus). At t(time)= 0 s, the...

Pendulum's period during oscillation [ 4 Answers ]

Why is it that a pendulum's period will gradually increase at first and then gradually decrease to its initial value?

View more questions Search