Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Safida Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 03:57 AM
    How to write a amazing speech
    I'm really nervous I have to write a speech for school (its compulsory)and Im freaking out. Can anyone give any cool suggestions and or maybe speech topics.

P.S I'm 14 and I get really nervous around people.I want to write a interesting speech(which is not boring) with a bit of humor. I need help writing it.Please no full speeches I really want to do it with a bit of help but I don't want a free handout. HELP!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 08:23 AM

I'll be glad to help, but I have to ask questions first.

1) When will you give the speech?
    2) It's for which class?
    3) How long does the speech have to be?
    4) Can the speech be about anything, or are there limits?
    5) Do you have any favorite topics that you'd be comfortable speaking about, such as animal welfare or politics?
    6) Can you use visual aids?
    7) In which country do you live?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 08:44 AM

Start by thanking everyone, especially your teacher (while looking at him or her) and your classmates (while looking at them) if for your class, or for who wanted you to speak and your group for giving you the opportunity to speak to your class (or the group you are talking to).

Now you can start your speech with funny story related to your speech, joke, or some other type of "Icebreaker" like getting your group involved in some way, which will help to put you at ease.

For the actual speech, start with your introduction, which is the why of your speech or what your speech is about.

Next you will get into the specifics of your speech. You will give the steps involved if you are solving something.

Finally after your introduction and the body of the speech you will finish with your conclusion, then ask if there are any questions that your audience has concerning your speech. Finally you need to thank your teacher, classmates, the person who wanted you to speak, and or your group for their time, also to finish your speech state what you want your group to remember or what you want them to take away from your speech.

Notes to help you: Practice your speech in front of a mirror, friend, or family member to help you with improvements or to help you feel comfortable with you speech. Sometimes what you write and say are not the same thing and by practicing your speech you will find errors or something will not sound right so you will be able to improve it.

Also use a presentation aids if you can, like Powerpoint slides to highlight the main points of your speech with bullet points or graphs. 1 slide for every 1 - minutes of your speech is plenty, just do not over do it. Or if you are trying to explain how to do something, like a cooking show you can actually do what you are talking about. This provides a visual interest for the group.

Also during the speech you can try to get your group involved by having them asisst you or anwering your questions, etc...

And finally the most important tips are:
    Remember that the people that you have to give the speech to want you to succeed and when giving your speech remember to make eye contact with all of your attendees if possible and hold your eye contact for a few seconds, which will look like you are at ease or comfortable and that you are talking directly to your audience.

If there is a time limit for your speech, keep to your time limit. Do not make your speech too short or too long. If there is no limit keep your speech as short as possible, without rushing it like 8 to 10 minutes or so.

Finally talk loud enough so that everyone you are talking to can hear you. Do not rush your speech, if you need to slow down when talking, so as not to appear rushed, and pause between your points. Like thank your teacher, pause then thank your classmates, pause then start your speech, pause etc... This will also help you to keep from rushing with your speech. Also when practicing your speeach make sure to have your speech timed, as this will help help you make sure you are on time with your speech and will help you know where your pauses should be.
    crazylemurs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2011, 04:17 PM
    I say a great tip would be to appear confident. Even if you're freaking out inside, keep a calm, stoic face and act like you know what your doing. People will always seem more interested in someone who knows what they're doing other than the person who looks like they got put up to this. If you get nervous, don't imagine people in their underwear because that will just make you laugh, but pick a point somewhere far away in the room and just stare at that. (don't forget to look back down at the speech though:) ) Try to pick words that sound cool, that make you sound more dignified and stuff. Avoid saying "like" or "um" a lot also. Which I might add, is no easy feat for anyone. And what is the speech about?
    P.S. I'm also 14 so cool! And don't worry. Just keep a positive outlook on things. Positive things happen to positive people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET

A speech to be given on fashion for speech and drama grade five [ 1 Answers ]

My child has a project on fashion to do for speech and drama for grade 5 she has to also give a talk about fashion for 3 minutes she is twelve years old please help we don't know where to start

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

These are amazing. [ 114 Answers ]

7 (More!) Underground Wonders of the World: Lost Caverns and Buried Cities | WebUrbanist 7 Most Amazing Caves of our World

A Speech To Write For English [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, for English I've got to write a speech before a battle and I've totally run out of ideas of what to say and it needs to be at least 850 words (I've got 611). I'm doing a speech to an army before for an attack in Iraq. I've already done stuff like why the war started, to not treat the...

View more questions Search