Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samarth.kang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 07:10 PM
    Bike engine dies and refuses to start, starts after a while
    Hi,

I have a Suzuki GS 150R, the bike they have marketed in India. The bike is brand new and runs smoothly. But sometimes very unpredictably dies out while running.

I checked the fuel tank and lines and found that there is no fuel supply problem.

Last night I went for a ride for about 10kms and parked it. Then after an hour or so I restarted it and went for just 300m when the engine died and refused to start.

It has not happened before the mechanics at the company so they think everything is fine (they can't see any symptoms of the problem).

Please advise,

Thank You
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 06:18 AM

Likely fuel or spark, How did you see in the lines for blockage?
    Did you remove the float bowl drain plug for fuel flow?
    Many bikes have a vacuum line that allows fuel to flow whan cranking or running. When engine is off, fuel stops.
    You can draw a vacuum with bike sitting, and Off to check flow. This is at your Petcock.
    outrigger Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 05:33 PM
    If your bike has a crank shaft or cam shaft sensor it could be going out. That happened on my Harley, got hot during a long parade and quit. Let it sit for maybe 30 minutes and it cranked back up.

Apr 20, 2011, 08:24 AM
    Comment on outrigger's post
    Thanks for the suggestion outrigger. The problem was solved by one of my friends who saw that the air pipes to the fuel tank were bent, hence blocked. The problem has not recurred since fixing them. Thank you.

Apr 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    Thanks for the reply Stratmando. It is surprising how minor problems can prevent machines from running! The problem was solved by one of my friends who saw that the air pipes to the fuel tank were bent, hence blocked. The problem has not recurred since fixing them. Thank you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2011, 10:29 AM

I've seen that happen with Vehicles and Bikes when the vent is blocked. It creates a vacuum, removing gas cap and hearing the air rush in is a sign of the vent blocked.
    Strange things happen.
    Almost sounded Thermal related.
    In Electronics we use a can of freeze or a heat gun to reveal Thermal Intermittants. Good you got it.
    outrigger Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Comment on outrigger's post
    Glad to hear it. Ride Long Ride Safe
    Outrigger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choke engine, engine starts, Choke off, engine dies [ 3 Answers ]

I have a two year old 5hp Honda enigne on a Troybilt frame. When the choke is engaged, the engine starts on the first pull. After the choke automatically shuts off, the engine dies immediately. Repeating same thing happens. Will not contiue to run.

Engine dies while driving and engine doesn't turn on restart honda 98 civic [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 98 civic lx with a manual and tonight I was driving and the car just turn off on me while driving at 70km/h in 4th gear. Then tried boosting the battery but every time I tried to start it the engine didn't even turn at all. Some possiblilities I thought of was that the battery is...

Kohler generator starts then dies unless you hold the start button [ 3 Answers ]

My kohler 4.5 generator starts then dies unless you hold the start button

Engine Refuses to start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a generator with a 10 HP Briggs & Stratton OHV engine. Turns over when pulled but won't fire. Replaced all fuel, cleaned carb bowl (no water in fuel). Has weak but intermittant spark. Flywheel has very slight coat of rust, plug is clean and fuel getting to cylinder. The whole machine...

View more questions Search