Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annea2703 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Life insurance on dead husbands mortgage
    My huband passed away a little over a year ago,and I'm not on the deed or mortgage on our home,I believe he had life insurance on said mortgage,is the insurance co. legally bound to disclose this information to me? If not how can I find this info out?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 05:31 PM

Do you know who sold him the policy and if your name is on it as beneficiary ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2011, 05:45 PM

Also, who inherits the house?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 05:52 PM

If you are not on the deed or the mortgage, it will of course have to go into probate, ** assuming the US**
    This will include other property or money that was not owned jointly properly.

The person who is appointed by the will or the court over the estate will supply the lender legal notice of this and ask for information
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 19, 2011, 07:58 AM

Please clarify - did your husband carry a life insurance policy? Or did he have mortgage insurance? They are two different things. A life insurance policy would pay out to the benficiary, and people often carry such a policy so that the mortgage can be paid off. If that's what your husband had, you need to contact the life insurance company (not the mortgage company). Mortgage insurance is different - it protects the lender in case the lender fails to pay and the mortgage goes into default. It doesn't pay off the mortgage itself, but rather gives some protection to the lender in case after foreclosure they can't recoup their loan. Now that your husband has died assuming you are have inherited the property from him you need to retitle the deed and either pay off the existing mortgage or refinance it in your name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feed up with my husbands friend I want her to get out of my husbands life. [ 9 Answers ]

My husband has go a friend, they have been friends for quit a long time. I am sick of her, you want to konow why? She used to email him email with some strong words, e.g. Hi sweetheart am missing you so much but I can't call you, please at least text me heavly love Lety. How are dear? You are so...

Can my husbands employer give my husbands ex info on his insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

My husbands ex called his place of employment and asked HR questions on his health insurance. They have two kids together. But I feel that before HR gave her the info they should have asked my husband if its o.k. to give his ex the info.

Laws on dead beat husbands? [ 2 Answers ]

New Member Join Date: Aug 2007 Posts: 16 Husband don't work,, I have been married to a man for 19yrs he was in the united states navy for 9 yrs he was medcialy discharged on 0 percent, ever since then he was put on meds for depression, add, bipolar, the bottom line is he doesn't work,,...

View more questions Search