Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    addicus85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 12:14 PM
    2 people on mortgage, one filed for bankruptcy who pays taxes on 1099c
    My bankruptcy attorney had myself and my partner sign papers to show that the split on the ownership of the hous was 95/5. I own 95% I filed bankruptcy 2 years ago. I know that I don't pay taxes on the cancellation of debt and according to the bankruptcy attorney my partner should only pay 5% of the total cancellation of debt. However my accountant said that is not right and is making my partner pay 100% Why would I sign the papers for a 95/5 split that went to the short sale closing? The other issue is that Bank of America issues the same 1099c to both of us... it showed 100% of the cancellation of debt. Shouldn't they of split the 1099c 95/5?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 04:20 PM

Did your partner now file bankruptcy, if not, they should in fact still owe the debt ? Why is the lender treating this like both of you filed bankruptcy.
    addicus85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    No.. he did not but I did. Yes he owes on the cancellation of debt... we know that but because it was a 95/5 split doesn't he only owe on 5% of the cancellation of debt. Not 100% and shouldn't the bank have issued a 1099c for me that had 95% of the cancellation oif debt abd a 1099c that had 5% for him?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2011, 10:16 AM
    If your partner did not declare bankruptcy, they can attempt to recover the entirety of the debt.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 01:10 PM

If you were both co-signers of the mortgage then you are both fully responsible for making sure the mortgage gets paid. It doesn't matter how much each partner is said to own of the house. In fact, in many instances a cosigner may be a parent or partner who has no ownership interest whatsoever in the property. That's why banks like co-signers, and insist on a co-signer if the property owner has poor credit. So by signing for the mortgage your partner took responsibility for covering any shortfall of yours. Since he didn't meet that obligation, he in turn has defaulted as well. Hence the 1099-C that he received for the full amount.

From IRS instructions for lenders to multiple debtors Instructions for Forms 1099-A and 1099-C (2011) :

For debts of $10,000 or more incurred after 1994 that involve debtors who are jointly and severally liable for the debt, you must report the entire amount of the canceled debt on each debtor's Form 1099-C. Multiple debtors are jointly and severally liable for a debt if there is no clear and convincing evidence to the contrary. If it can be shown that joint and several liability does not exist, a Form 1099-C is required for each debtor for whom you canceled a debt of $600 or more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement filed after bankruptcy filed [ 3 Answers ]

I was summoned to appear in court on 4/15/05 for a delinqeunt debt to a credit card company. On 4/28/05, I filed bankruptcy but on my credit report the company filed a judgement on my report on 5/5/2005. Can they put a judgement on my credit after I have filed bankruptcy?

1099a, 1099c and Ch7 Bankruptcy - Taxable Income? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been readying this site and seen very similar questions, but just wanted to be sure that the following is true: If I have a real estate mortgage included a ch7 bankruptcy (primary resident or rental property) and was fully discharged and I get a 1099a, I DO NOT need to file or do...

Taxes for 1099C [ 1 Answers ]

I called a bank and told them to come pick up a car back in 2001. They came and stole it in the middle of the night when all they had to do is ring the doorbell and ask for the keys. They damaged the carport with the car. I went and picked my belongings up in Irving, a 60 mile drive, at a cost of...

Taxes from a 1099C or A [ 1 Answers ]

How does a person prove insolvency if they get a 1099C or A. I know it is assets to debt ratio. How does a person prove that. Does a the original loan amount that was taken over by the bank via foreclosure count as the debt as well or the amount that was not forgiven?

1099C Filed under my social security number in error [ 1 Answers ]

I received a notice form the IRS that two 1099C's were filed under my Social Security number for Cancellation of Debt and I now owe the IRS $2000 dollars for not claiming these. I never received the 1099C'S in 2005 and I never held accounts with either of the creditors named on the 1099C forms....

View more questions Search