Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unsurefather Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 02:31 AM
    Confused on what I can do
    My ex was pregnant when we got together.. we never got married and I know I'm not the biological father.. however I want to see this kid I raised her... I supported her... and she calls me daddy... her real father is a drug addict who does not care about her... how can I get leagal rights to see this kid... I live in Mississippi and to call and ask dns could cause me to lose her forever... please give me some advice
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 04:26 AM

I would consult an attorney.

Because you never married or adopted the child , you have no legal leg to stand on.

Morally , you are the father because you cared for, loved, and supported the child.
    You have my admiration for this. And for wanting to continue to be the father.

But the legality of the situation is grim and since you are asking this I am assuming the mother is going to keep you away.
    Maybe she will realize that the best interest of the child would be better served if the only father she knows remains in the life.

I would offer to pay support for the child and have it put in court documents that would allow visitation also.

I am no lawyer or legal expert but I would give it a shot since it may be all you have to try and stay in her life.

I hope you will be allowed to continue to be her father.

I wish you well.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2011, 04:38 AM

The only way you would have any rights to this child is to adopt her. Without being married that is a very slim possibility.

The only thing you can do is stay on the good side of your ex and maybe she will let you be part of the child's life. Point out to the ex how the child feels about you and how denying her contact with her father figure may be damaging to her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 04:42 AM

And you said she is now your ex, if you had adopted ( and may not have since you were not married) at this point you have almost no chance of any legal rights,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late period, pregnancy,confused confused [ 2 Answers ]

On 1st Aug 09, I had a very painful period which came 12days late.Before the period came, I had unusually swollen breasts,cramping consistently, consistent headache and nausea. I have been trying for a baby in the last 12months.I have never used any pill, nor gotten pregnant before. My period is...

I'm confused [ 13 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 2 years wants to have a threesome with me and another male, I'm not sure about it, is he using me ? If he really loves me, why is he willing to share me? He treats me well, but I'm having second thoughts about this relationship Help!:confused:

She is confused [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I was with my girlfriend for 4 years we were friend before that for around 2 years, about a month ago she ended the relationship we spoke about marriage and the ususal commitments. I was upset but did not show this and played it cool as you can do, I spoke to her a week later to see how she was...

I'm so confused! [ 4 Answers ]

I like this girl I met like 2 months ago, I told my friends and they told her closest friends so I don't know if she knows. Should I ask her out or just stay friends?:confused:

View more questions Search