Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Drakeysgirl Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 10:44 PM
    Should I file for BK or wait?
    I'm kind of at a loss of what I should be doing... I live in Washington state.
    I had very good credit until I lost my job in the end of 2007, right after I got a vehicle loan and a credit card with a $3,000 limit. My boyfriend also lost his job right around the same time. It took me about 3 months to find a new job, and him about 4, but in the course of those 3-4 months we ran up the cc to its limit and the truck was repo'd. I came to an agreement with the cc company to make monthly payments until I unexpectedly got pregnant and had to quit my job...
    I had a few other debts that I have paid on as agreed/paid off, but I have not paid on either the balance of the truck, and the cc. I have never answered the calls from the collectors, never replied to the few collection letters I've gotten. The total between the two is approximately $8,000. I believe that the sol has run out on the truck loan, it was repo'd in March 2008. I paid on the cc till April 2009 I believe.
    I haven't heard from a collection agency for several months, it may be as long as a year, but today I got a call from Asset Acceptance. I'm concerned that they may attempt to take me to court (I am not sure which debt they are calling on, as there are two). I have no job at this time, I am a full time college student with another year till I graduate. Now I understand that despite the SOL (whether it has run out or not) I still owe this money.
    Would it be better for me to scrape together $600 and file for bankruptcy, or wait till I graduate and find a job and start paying off these debts? I know that $8,000 isn't much for most people, but it might as well be a million for a young adult in school, with a toddler at home!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 05:19 AM

The SOL on most debt is over 10 years. And that's just the collection point. They can renew the debt again and again for a lifetime.

How is it that you can choose to quit working and then go to school? Was the truck a voluntary repo or did they come and take it ?

Apr 16, 2011, 10:04 AM
    I apologize, I was wrong about the SOL being 3 years, its actually 6... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.16.040
    I had a job up until October of 2010, but it became too difficult to find childcare after my mom started working a different job. In order to pay someone to watch him would have been as much as or more than I was making at my fast food job. We are living with my boyfriend (the child's father). I receive school grants which cover tuition, books, and most of the gas and parking costs. At this point I can't afford NOT to go to school. I will never make a decent living wage around here without some type of education, and I don't want to sit around leeching off welfare my whole life.
    With the truck, we had told them we couldn't afford the payments and wanted to give it back but they didn't make any arrangements with us to give it up, they showed up in the middle of the night and took it, we found out the next morning. I was pretty naïve about the whole process then, in hindsight I realize I should have been more proactive about it.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 12:35 PM

Here is your 10 year rule.

RCW 4.16.020: Actions to be commenced within ten years ? Exception.

Apr 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Thanks, I'm guessing then the 6 would be for the cc debt then? But that is neither here nor there. I understand I'm on the hook for it either way. Unless my boyfriend's income significantly increases within the next year though, we definitely cannot afford to even make small payments. My question is, should I file for bankruptcy, or wait at least a year until I can pay off these debts? And if its paying them off, should I try to get the junk debt collectors to settle for less?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 02:19 PM

Really, for this your going to need professional help. Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer in your area and see what they have to say. Its really a teeter-totter situation right now. Lending institutions can settle for less and that goes on your record too even through your doing your best. Is the debt enough? That's really for you to determine. Just remember that you can still be obligated to the debt in bankruptcy. Its not always a clean slate approach.

Apr 16, 2011, 02:27 PM
    Thank you. I did talk to a bankruptcy lawyer about a year ago and she suggested I file, but I put it off because I was getting ready to rent a place and was afraid it would make it more difficult to find a willing landlord. Now its much the same, getting ready to move again and I'm worried that a bankruptcy would make it difficult. I guess I was considering the fact that I am one year closer to being able to potentially be able to pay these debts off, and am not sure which would be less damaging to my credit at this point.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 02:34 PM

You could always try something like this and see what they have to say from their end of things.

Consumer Credit Counseling and Debt Management Services | Advantage CCS
    debtprophet Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

May 9, 2011, 03:18 AM
    People under such circumstances need to know that bankruptcy is not always the best option to end your miseries. It will be there in your report for a long time. Alternatively, you may go for a free counseling session with a professional debt relief service. They might show you through a number of debt relief options, but you'll have the best option only when you can explain your current financial strength and obligations to your counselor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file for divorce or wait for him to grow up? [ 2 Answers ]

We dated 8 years before we got married been married 1 yr. I didn't marry him all that time because he didn't work steady, he cheated various times, he is an addict to anything (least of all alcohol) that will get him out of his reality,has stole from the house, neighbors and family, and is very...

How long can you wait to file a notarized quitclaim deed [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is in her 90's and in her will she wants her house sold and the proceeds to be divided between her 3 children. In order to avoid probate we would like to do a quitclaim deed. Once it is signed and notorized do we have to file it right away or can we wait until it is medically necessary...

Wait and file first year choice or go ahead file as a non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Dear TAx Expert, I was on F1/OPT until July 30th and changed to H-1B on August 25th. I earned less than 4,500.00 during my OPT and had a total income of 16000 on H-1B. Should I file an extension and make First Year Choice after I pass the SPT or just go ahead to file the tax return as a...

How long do I have to wait to file child abandonment charges? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of GA. And I have full custody of my 3 year old son. My ex-husband hasn't seen his son in over a month, he hasn't even called to see how he is doing. I'm trying to find out how long I have to wait to file child abandonment charges, and how I would get the right court papers to...

How long would I wait if I file for an anullment [ 3 Answers ]

I got married two months ago and its not what I expected so I want out as soon as possible like right now how long would it take for an anullment please help

View more questions Search