Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suelba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 06:09 AM
    Flex Connector for gas range is too big for the gas supply line
    Got a new gas range. The old range had a yellow gas flex connector and fit perfectly on the brass flare end of the supply pipe, but the new steel connector is too big for the flare end fitting of the gas supply pipe, although just right for connecting to the range. The house was built in 1957, and the old range was installed about 20 years ago. Is there some kind of adapter or reducer I can use between the flex connector and the gas line, or do I need to have a new gas line fitted?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 07:36 AM

Hi Sue...

The new gas connector should have come with its own flare fittings to install. Never reuse old flare fittings/flexible connectors... may not connect properly.

I would recommend purchasing a new flexible connector and install the new flare fittings that come with it. If a reducer fitting is also needed you can purchase that, too.

You will also need to purchase some non-teflon based pipe dope, such as a rectorseal pipe dope, and install the flared fittings using pipe dope on the threads that go into the gas pipe and the stove itself.

DO NOT use pipe dope on the threaded flared fitting connections themselves... only on the threaded part of the fitting that goes into the gas pipe and the stove... not on the flare nut to flare adapter connections, OK?

Finally, do NOT forget to install the ANTI-TIP device as this device saves lives... ;)

Questions? Let us know...

Mark
    suelba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
    Thanks! One flare fitting came with the connector, and its male end fits perfectly into the gas range. Not sure why only one, but apparently the range manufacturer expects customers to purchase a shut-off valve for the gas line pipe and it would come with a flare fitting--No, I didn't know that until the range and connector were delivered... And the gas line supply pipe already has a shut-off valve... Anyway, I figured I'd have to remove the flare fitting from the gas pipe since the flare fitting does not fit the new connector. Problem is the old flare fitting is on so tightly on the old gas supply pipe that it seems to call for superhuman strength to remove(!). Any trick to getting them unstuck? Find someone stronger than I am?

I hope I can get the old flare fitting off so I can try a reducer fitting. As to only using the sealant on the male ends--thanks, I've got that clear in my head. As to sealant, I see that not everyone agrees about the type of sealant to use to stop leaks from occuring--tape/no tape; teflon okay/ no teflon. I'll see if the rectorseal pipe dope is at the hardware store where I buy the other fittings. Appreciate it.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 05:44 AM

Absolutley NO teflon based pipe dope or tape. Teflon products react with natural gas and can break down over time.

They do sell gas sealant tape... yellow in most areas, but I recommend the rectorseal #5 pipe dope for best overall result!

In terms of loosening the fitting, you'll just need larger wrenches... hold against yourself when loosening or tightening fittings.

Also, note here that you can't have two shutoffs behind the stove, so just buy a new reducer and connector... no shutoff, OK?

Finally, as posted above, please install the anti-tip device... saves lives (why I repeated it again... ;))

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about Replacing Copper-Flex Gas Line w/ Black Pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I want to run new gas line to an upstairs dryer and the county inspector suggests using black pipe. I've priced all the fittings and nailing plates and it seems like the stainless steel is going to be more expensive. My brother in law (a pipefitter, not a plumber) will help me with the work. He...

Flex gas line connected to fireplace burner safe? [ 4 Answers ]

I have always been aprehesive about flexible gas lines. The home I just moved into has a new ventless natural gas fireplace. The gas comes into the fireplace via a flex line which is connected from the main gas line nearby. My question is... are the flex lines rated and approved to be used INSIDE...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

What kind of flex gas line to use on cooking appliance [ 5 Answers ]

I am referring to an application at a high school snack bar , moveable (for cleaning only), The line existing is metal flex w/yellow plastic coating. Is there a code , or industry standard , that would require this spific type of gas flex line? Thanks, Tim

Attaching Flex Natural Gas line. [ 2 Answers ]

I am attaching a new fex gas line to a new cook top. The new line comes with flare fittings that screw into the flex hose fitting. Should I use any sealant on the threads of the flare fitting. Thanks.

View more questions Search