Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Apr 14, 2011, 06:48 PM
    orthopedists and rheumalogists
    What is the difference between an orthopedist and a rheumatologist? More like, I was wondering why I'm being sent to the orthopedist instead of the rheumatologist, and why the dr. thinks an orthopedist is better for me than a rheumatologist. I know I should have asked when I went to the dr, but I didn't think of it until now.

Background- I am 29 years old, I have osteo-arthritis in my knees and back. Lately, for the last year and 4 months, I've been having a lot of leg pain, and can barely walk for the week or two it is happening. I had it in Jan 2010, March/April 2010, and August, September, October, November and December 2010, and now in April 2011 for about one to two weeks each month, except this month because it just started. I went to the dr a few times last year, and in December I was told that she thought I had arthritis in the hips and that there was nothing that they could do for me, I just have to live with it. And she couldn't give me off work to get better since it wasn't work related (which I could argue, but there's no way to prove it that work is making it worse, even if it didn't start there.) No tests ordered or anything, and had me on my way in less then 2 minutes. So, I immediately switched doctors.

I waited for the pain to come back- which it did, this past Tuesday, about an hour after work. I called out of work for Wednesday, and went to the doctors. I told her what happened. She said it was way past time my hip was x-rayed, and went to an orthopedist. She ordered me to stay home today also, Thursday. I don't understand how I was able to get that order to be off work for two days from this dr, but not the old one. And I don't understand why she thinks it's better for me to go to an orthopedist instead of a rheumatologist. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that someone is finally trying to help me out, and hopefully I won't have to live with this pain for half the year anymore. I'm just curious.

I am thankful that she ordered me to stay home because my leg feels so much better now, two days later, than it ever did a week after it started when I was made to work. I think I may be able to actually make it through my job tomorrow without wanting to sit in the corner and cry.

Thanks

Daisy
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 05:23 AM

I don't know why they referred you to an orthopedist either; this profession is mainly concerned with the bones in the feet.

Of course not knowing your medical history and not being allowed to diagnose on AMHD as it is extremely difficult and dangerous to to do on the internet, I must say that from your description you need a rheumatologist.

A little history, by treating the feet it is understood that you are treating the whole bone structure of the body because a slight deviation in the way you walk because of foot pain reverberates throughout your knees, hips, spine, etc. because you are favouring those parts of the body to ease the pain in your foot.

However, rheumatologists treat bones, tissue, joints, autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis. Not to say that you have RA, but the speciality of this profession would be able to get a better picture of what is going on with your joints, muscles and tissues.

Here is a brief description of rheumatology so you understand the over view more precisely:

Rheumatology is a sub-specialty in internal medicine and pediatrics, devoted to diagnosis and therapy of conditions and diseases affecting joints, muscles, and bones. Clinicians who specialize in rheumatology are called rheumatologists. Rheumatologists deal mainly with clinical problems involving joints, soft tissues, certain autoimmune diseases, vasculitis , and Heritable connective tissue disorders. Essentially, they are medically treated diseases, that affect musculoskeletal system. They include many autoimmune diseases, as these conditions often cause rheumatic issues.

I hope all of this long post has given you a better understanding going in to your treatment, just go in with an open mind and follow instructions precisely if you want that pain managed properly.

Ms tickle

correction: Yes, as J_9 pointed out orthopedists deal with bones. I don't know why I made that mistake, I do foot care and refer to podiatrists. Sorry about that but hope you still get the general idea.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I don't know why they referred you to an orthopedist either; this profession is mainly concerned with the bones in the feet.
    I do believe that a podiatrist is the doctor primarily concerned with the bones of the feet.

An orthopedist is concerned with the skeletal system.

Orthopedic surgery or orthopedics (spelt orthopaedic surgery and orthopaedics in Commonwealth countries and Ireland) is the branch of surgery concerned with conditions involving the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons use both surgical and nonsurgical means to treat musculoskeletal trauma, sports injuries, degenerative diseases, infections, tumors, and congenital disorders.
    Orthopedic surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search