Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renemilz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
    No Fault car accident
    I was driving down hill in the rain following the flow of traffic, I could see a lady standing in the crosswalk wait to cross, the van in front of my taped their brakes in which I braked to slow, the front vehile kept going them stopped, I then braked and stopped but I sled into the van their were no injuries and no damage to the van just damage to my car! I called the police filed a report the officer said the this was a no fault accident, I have liability or limited tort insurance, this is my first accident and insurance claim what happens now?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 10:46 AM

Where? Did the Officer say no-fault as in no-fault insurance OR no fault as in it wasn't your fault?

You slid into the guy. You did not have your vehicle under control. You are responsible for any damage, including damage to your own vehicle.

You report the accident to your insurance company and they will investigate (which may only involve taking photos of your car) and make a monetary offer (if you had collision coverage) to repair your car.

There is a good possibility, depending on your company, that your rates will go up.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 10:49 AM

Hello r:

Even if the cop knew what he was talking about, you don't have insurance that will cover your car. But, the cop was full of crap. YOU are at fault. There's NO doubt about it. The law is CLEAR.

Nonetheless, you didn't get a ticket, and you didn't cause any damage to anybody but yourself.

What will happen? You fix your car on your own dime, or you don't.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello r:

Even if the cop knew what he was talking about, you don't have insurance that will cover your car. But, the cop was full of crap. YOU are at fault. There's NO doubt about it. The law is CLEAR.

Nonetheless, you didn't get a ticket, and you didn't cause any damage to anybody but yourself.

What will happen? You fix your car on your own dime, or you don't.

excon

Just by means of explanation - a LOT of people have no idea what insurance they carry so I always cover all the bases.

I should have added that limited tort is dangerous insurance to carry. It's a decision someone involved in an accident could very well regret. Basically, when you get Limited Tort coverage you surrender your right to sue for pain and compensation as a result of an auto accident. You're in an accident with serious injuries? Your medical bills are covered but you CANNOT recover for scars, pain and suffering and similar claims.

The saving is usually in the area of 15%. I question whether it's worth it BUT most people think it is UNTIL they have a serious accident. Then it's too late.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should run around suing everyone in sight but if a person loses an eye, has a serious facial scar, loses use of a limb that 15% saving was NOT worth it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident , my fault [ 9 Answers ]

I involved in a car accident recently , The attorney of the other driver have proofs that it was my fault.I thaught the other driver was not injuried and my insurance company will handle it.But this week I got a call from my insurance guy , he said that the other driver has severely injured with...

Determining accident fault? -my parked car involved in multi car parking lot accident [ 15 Answers ]

What happens in a parking lot accident scenario: Car 1 driving (fast) hits Car 2 that is backing out of the parking lot. Car 2 because of the impact now hits Car 3 and Car 4 which were parked to Car 2s' left and right respectively. I have Car 5 and was parked to Car 3's left. My car (Car 5)...

Car accident- who's at fault? [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I had a car accident last night and I need to know who is at fault. I was waiting for a parking spot so I was pulled over but when I realized the guy wasn't leaving his spot I was pulling out and at the same time some guy was driving very fast and hit me. Am I at fault?

Car accident whose fault? [ 11 Answers ]

Car A was making a right turn headed north out of a 2 lane road (one in each direction) after stopped at a stop sign. Car B was coming (also headed north). After Car A was turned to the road and just drove about 5 to 10 meters, Car B couldn't stop immediately. Car B tried to avoid accident and go...

Not at fault car accident [ 16 Answers ]

Yesterday I was in a car accident in which the other driver ran through a red light when mine was green and hit me. I called 911 and so forth. The police came we filed our reports and they were sited. But the police officer told me he didn't think they had insurance. My car was undrivable and had...

View more questions Search