Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emma_88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 10:49 PM
    My sister needs help
    :confused: hi I'm writing about my sister she is doing things that are upsetting my whole family she cuts her wrist and wrights on pieces of paper that she is going to hang her self and this is upsetting the whole family not only because she is doing this but because we have younger sister who is watching everything she is doing but we have a little brother who is watching this to my mum has taken her to see a some one but that hasn't helped all she want to do is move out off home and doesn't even want to be with her family but the problem is is that she is only 15 so my question is WHAT CAN WE DO AND WHAT HELP CAN WE GET HER??
    maggiemae Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
    She's crying out for help! Has she seen a psychiatrist? Is she on medication? If she is hurting herself and making threats on her life, her parent or guardian can have her committed. Then, she would get psychiatric intervention and help getting to the bottom of all this anger.
    Take care~
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 05:46 PM
    She sounds desperately unhappy. Often, behavior like hers is a reaction to some kind of abuse, possibly years earlier. Whatever it is, she needs help.
    dancing_girl4ever Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 10:15 PM
    You need to get her help. Your family needs to take her to a therapist so she can talk about her feelings. Also maybe an outpt therapy can help her but she needs to get help soon
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
    She knows that her sister needs help. She's asking what kind of help they can get her.

Your mom took her to see someone, but that didn't help? How long did she go? With counseling, it takes MONTHS to start seeing improvements! With issues that huge, it could take years!

If she is hurting herself, she needs to be in an inpatient program, especially since from what I am getting from your question is that she is talking about and/or attempting suicide. If it's a matter of money, your mother should speak to a doctor about possibly getting help from the state for the financial side of it.

Your sister is definitely crying out for help, and I'm SURE that she wants more than to just move out. Counseling with a trained psychiatrist or psychologist will definitely help.

Good luck.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 02:05 AM
    Emma,
    It's very courageous of you to be reaching out and seeking help for your sister.
    You mentioned that she saw someone. How long? Cases like your sisters needs ongoing therapy. A few visits isn't enough to find what's causing her so much mental pain. After the cause is identified, there is still much more coping skills that must be learned in order for her to feel good again and be able to live a well rounded, happy, fulfilled life.
    Sometimes this is a life long battle for people who suffer with depression and other mental illnesses or disorders.
    The best thing for your family would be to get your sister back into counseling/therapy. From there they will be able to recommend the next step and will be able to refer her to a doctor or psychiatrist that will be able to help further.
    Last but not least, your sister needs to feel unconditional love by her loved ones. Her behavior is truly upsetting and hurtful to the family; however, what ever kind of inner pain she is suffering with right now is equally as painful in comparison to what she putting the family through.
    Either you or your parents can gently talk to her about the concerns you have that involve the younger siblings watching her behavior. In a kind and gentle voice (even if she's not being kind) tell her she must not let the younger children see or hear what she is doing/saying. Remind her that everyone loves her. Tell her that her little sister and brother love her too and they are to young to understand her pain and shouldn't see or hear it. Tell her that you know she's hurting right now, but that somewhere inside of her, you know she loves you too and everyone together as a family will work on seeing that she gets better.
    Remind her of being happy and what it felt like.
    It's important to keep calm even when she's not.
    If the little children are viewing her behavior, gently remind her that they love her and that she loves them and ask her to take it outside or to another room.
    Unfortunately, her illness is a family illness and everyone must put forth the effort to make things better.
    I do hope you and your family follow through with therapy for your sister and use the basic family coping skills I mentioned. This situation is not and will not be an easy one to fix and it will not go away by itself.
    Keep calm and hopes high. I wish everyone the best.
    PS. There is a variety of family coping skills (many more than I mentioned above) counselors and therapists are good at keying in on the ones that work for each individual and their families.
    Kae
    emma_88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 01:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    She knows that her sister needs help. She's asking what kind of help they can get her.

Your mom took her to see someone, but that didn't help? How long did she go? With counseling, it takes MONTHS to start seeing improvements! With issues that huge, it could take years!

If she is hurting herself, she needs to be in an inpatient program, especially since from what I am getting from your question is that she is talking about and/or attempting suicide. If it's a matter of money, your mother should speak to a doctor about possibly getting help from the state for the financial side of it.

Your sister is definitely crying out for help, and I'm SURE that she wants more than to just move out. Counseling with a trained psychiatrist or psychologist will definitely help.

Good luck.

Hello how are you? I'm just replying to your answer for me!
    My mum did take her for help but when she did they told mum that it was a put on and she has take her to see three different people for help so where can we take her to get help and where some one wants to help us

Regards emma
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jan 31, 2007, 04:26 AM
    With all due respect Emma, it sounds like your mum dropped the ball a while back and that isn't yours or your sister's fault, okay? If your sister is to get help, then its important that your parents follow through with whatever is necessary. And that people take responsibility for each of their parts. If your parents don't know where to get help for her, start with your family medical doctor. And if you don't have a family doctor, start where you would find medical help in your community -- they will know what resources are available in your community. I hope she gets help soon. Good luck.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 12:11 PM
    A "put on" or not, this is a serious problem that could lead to even bigger and more devastating events if absolutely nothing positive is done about it. There must be someone or some place to seek help from within your community. Do you and your family have a medical doctor?
    Your parents should really be trying harder to seek help for your sister because there is always some form of help available in cases like this.
    Maybe this "put on" is for attention?? If so, sounds like the family could use some quality fun time spent together. Would your parents be up for that? Maybe you and your sister could do more girl things together. Would you be up for that? Issues like this require that all family members work together and put forth the effort to turn a bad situation into a good one...
    -Kae
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 12:13 PM

Please, talk to someone who can help her. Take her to a hospital. Something is terribly wrong! Don't wait until she does something worse. GET HER SOME PROFESSIONAL HELP!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 12:16 PM

This thread is THREE YEARS OLD.

One would hope she'd already gotten help.

Please watch dates when responding.

Thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want Custody of my 14 yr old sister [ 9 Answers ]

I am here to see if anyone would happen to know what I have to do to get guardianship/custody of my 14 yr old sister... im 25 and married with no kids... mom is unfit at this time to handle a 14 yr old and she can barley handle herself... dad works nights and you can't leave a 14yr old home all...

My sister needs help [ 8 Answers ]

I have a sister she is 15 years old and has a really bad eating disorder. She is throwing up her food. I don't know what to do. I haven't went to my parents because I don't want to tell on her. What do you think I should do?

Sister Sister [ 3 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined I have this problem with my older sister.She's 16 and I'm 11 going on 12.I'm her step-sister(we have different moms)and this is her first time visiting here in 4 years so she doesn't know anybody.Lately we've been arguing about different stuff cause that's what...

Adoption of my sister [ 4 Answers ]

My name is Amanda I am 18 years old. My sister is almost 17 years old. Our parents are not the best parents in the world. Our father is abusive and control freak. My mother just goes along with whatever he says and does. I would like to know if there is anyway that I could become her legal...

Sister [ 5 Answers ]

:-[Hi, Could someone tell me what they think about this dream? OK here go's, I was trying to get a hold of my sister by phone but she did not leave me a phone number and she moved, I then tried looking for her in my car, all of a sudden, there was a small child in the car, she wanted to learn...

View more questions Search