Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
    Inherited property sold for less then the appraisal tax fees?
    I Inherited a home from my grandmother who passed away in Jan 2011. It was recently appraised at 145,000. We are selling it for 90,000. Ive read there is no taxes for property inherited that is less then a million? Once sold do I have to pay taxes? I live in Georgia.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 06:54 PM

First the tax appraisal amount has almost nothing to do with current actual values, have you had a actual real estate appraisal done, where they compare it to other similar properties that are actually selling.

I have had to go get my tax appraisals challenged on almost every property, some cut as much as 1/2 of their values ( to save money on taxes)
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 02:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karess View Post
    I Inherited a home from my grandmother who passed away in Jan 2011. It was recently appraised at 145,000. We are selling it for 90,000. Ive read there is no taxes for property inherited that is less then a million? once sold do I have to pay taxes? I live in Georgia.
    1. Find out the fair market value of the house on the date of inheritance that is in Jan 2011. This is your cost basis. If $90,000 is more than your cost basis, you have a long term capital gain, which you may have to report on your tax return. If you do not have long term capital gain, you do not report it on your tax return.

2. If your grandmother lived in the house for two years in last 5 years, you can exclude gain of up to $250,000, and you do not need to report the sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you calculate the capital gains tax on a sold property that was inherited? [ 4 Answers ]

My two sisters and I inherited our grandmother's house, and today sold it to our cousin (his grandmother as well). The property was sold for $52,000, and we each (the three of us) received checks for more than $17,000. How do I calculate what my capital gains tax will be?

Tax on inherited property sold abroad [ 2 Answers ]

My wife (a US citizen) inherited 3 acreas of land in Honduras. She recently sold it for $100,000. To date she has only received a down payment of $20,000 of which she had to pay a capital $4000 capital gains tax to Honduras based on the total sales price. The purchaser has run into some...

Tax on inherited property sold overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My parents (non-US citizens) lived overseas and have passed away. On the death of my mother, I inherited their apartment and have recently sold it and intend transferring the proceeds to the US. I am a US citizen, 72 years old, reside in the US and file joint tax returns with my wife. Question:...

Appraisal as tax basis on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away on Dec 7. Her house was appraised on January by a state certified appraiser at $135,000. It will sell on April 30 for $90,000. Can beneficiaries take a capital loss of $45000 plus expenses of the sale. More specifically, I guess I should ask if the basis on the house is...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search