Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trenthall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Load bearing beam
    Just wanting to know if I can build a load bearing beam out of three 11-7/8" 2x12's for a span of 10 feet. with a nail pattern of 4 nails on each side at every 12". Would this pass inspection?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2011, 09:02 AM

What u have listed is more then needed for a 10 foot span if a 2 story house.

In my area 2-2x12 would be approved.

Chuck
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 14, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Depends upon where this beam will be located and what loads it will be expected to support.

No one can answer until you provide more specific load information and where the beam will be located.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

Grade beam or load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the planning stage for our new house, and we're going with a permanent wood foundation. This is a full basement. I have two choices, I can go with your standard built up lumber grade beam for the house with teleposts (columns), or I can build a load bearing wall in the basement. ...

Proper sizing a beam to replace a load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to remove 15' of wall between my living room and kitchen. It's the center bearing wall of a two story colonial. On the second floor are bedrooms. The existing floor joists are 2x8's 16" on center. Normal snow load, gable roof bearing on outside walls. Basically I'm supporting the floor...

Replacing a load bearing wall with an engineered beam. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a load bearing wall between two living areas that I would like to remove to create one large space. I would like to do it without the beam exposed in the area. My question is can the ceiling joists be cut and reattached to the beam using joist hangers? I understand that there would have to...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

View more questions Search