Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rorelam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
    How to deal with this religious problem?
    My mother and father are Christian but I am Buddhist. I was Christian since 10, but as I began searching for truth and more information I began to doubt about God's existence. I passed through some difficult times and I asked Him for help, but there was not answer. Finally, I decided to try with Buddhism.
    The thing is, they do not know and it is better to keep it like that. You may ask why; they are very closed minded and they say things that are not true or are wrong facts. Every time I heard them talking like that I stepped up to defend those beliefs. At the end I end up hurt and feeling impotent. Why are some Christians like that? What can I do? As a Buddhist I cannot let them stay in ignorance, but every time I try to clear things a little I feel attacked.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 07:38 PM

So are you ashamed of what you believe, if they do not know your faith or beleifs, they can not be careful of what they say around you.

Of course what are they saying that upsets you ? And "closed mind" is a matter of opinion, if you mean, they believe anyone else not a Christian is doomed to hell, that is not really closed mind, that is merely their beliefs and one of the main teachings not subject to change.

As a Christian I would have to say that of course you have been lead astray and are the one who has been fooled and are in ignorance.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 03:52 PM

If I remmeber correctly Buddha was the one who taugh his followers to seek enlightenment but what enlightenment is is a fairly open question. Christians would say that to believe in Jesus Christ is to have found enlightenment, This view is in fact supported by Pauls' discourse in Athens. So you need to take a broader view of your parents beliefs and avoid confronting them since you can't demonstrate you have found enlightenment
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Apr 23, 2011, 02:18 PM
    Hello Nestorian,

Your post is most interesting, because it is about as funny as it could be. I like that, a discussion about creation verses evolution in a relaxed yet with monkey play on the side. (lol)

Now to your qestions:

1ST, What does the bible mean by "created in his own image"?

My Reply: “God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God's image he created him; male and female he created them.” (Gen. 1:27)
    Bing made in God's image does not mean we were made to look like God, but that within each of us God has given us the ability to exercise His qualities. We being his children, we can reflect God's righteous qualities.
    For recall that we are urged to “become imitators of God, as beloved children.” (Eph. 5:1) In fact, sometimes a child is so much like their father that they are called “a chip off the old block.” And so it should be with us and our heavenly father. Something else to ask ourselves, “Why is there some who are kind and loving and others who are wicked and violent? Could it be because some chose not to imitate God and reflect their heavenly father's qualities?

Your Question:

2ND, Is the bible more of a book of Myths, fables and stories that are meant to inspire the "word of GOD"?? NOt a book of fact.

My Reply:

There are many reasons to believe that the Bible is inspired by God:

A) The Bible itself says it is from God, mankind's Creator
    2 Tim. 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
    Rev. 1:1: “A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place.”
    2 Sam. 23:1, 2: “The utterance of David the son of Jesse.. . The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.”
    Isa. 22:15: “This is what the Sovereign Lord, Jehovah of armies, has said.”

B) Bible prophecy explains the meaning of world conditions.
    No one would deny we are living in terrible times. The Bible long ago told the events that would take place and why, and what the results would be.

(2 Timothy 3:1-5) 3 But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

(Luke 21:25-31) 25 “Also, there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out because of the roaring of the sea and [its] agitation, 26 while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 And then they will see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 But as these things start to occur, raise yourselves erect and lift your heads up, because YOUR deliverance is getting near.” 29 With that he spoke an illustration to them: “Note the fig tree and all the other trees: 30 When they are already in the bud, by observing it YOU know for yourselves that now the summer is near. 31 In this way YOU also, when YOU see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near.

Te Bible tells us what we must do in order to survive the impending world destruction, with the opportunity to gain eternal life under righteous conditions here on earth.

(Zephaniah 2:3) 3 seek Jehovah, all YOU meek ones of the earth, who have practiced His own judicial decision. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably YOU may be concealed in the day of Jehovah's anger.

(John 17:3) 3 This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.

(Psalm 37:11) 11 But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

(Luke 11:28) 28 But he said: “No, rather, Happy are those hearing the word of God and keeping it!”

Your question
    3rd I would aregue that our race has bin evolving since it was upone the earth, however, it seems that our physique is perfected, while our mentality is changing. Yes, I believe that the people that lived in the days of Jessus, were less intelegant, not because they couldn't be more so, but because there wasn't as many resources to use to gain knowledge as fast and largly as we do today.

My Reply

Maybe the knowledge via means of technology and other is a bit too fast. The system now is so fast paced people do not stop and thin or meditate on what they learn. Are people today more intelligent then in Jesus' day? Not really, today they are so fast paced, they may have more knowledge then those in Jesus' day, yet they don't stop to think about the knowledge they have gained in order to apply it so as to benefit themselves. Too much of a good thing can harm it holder.

Peace.
    Hope12
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2011, 07:49 PM

Well Hope we can all be glad you have a grasp of the subject but you seem to have avoided the question. Can we expect more of your preprepared dissitations?
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

May 1, 2011, 04:08 AM

Hope, your cut n pastes are a little obvious lol. Try editing them before posting so it's easier to read. I agree with your words, but did I miss those questions somewhere in the op?
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

May 2, 2011, 06:32 AM
    I am so sorry I posted my answerto 9the wrong post. ( I will hope this apology satisfies you both Parcelete and Moparbyfar.)

Hello rorelam:

Sometime people have closed minds, Chertians fight Christians, Buddhist eill fight Buddhist, yet our Creator has given each one of us the right or free will to chose what is right for them and what they wish to believe. Some will think their teachings are the right way only to learn they are wrong. Thers will be too stupid and closed minded to even test out to see if what they believe is fact or fiction.

I was always taught as a Chritian to show respect for what others believe, even if we personally disagree.
    “As long as we have time favorable for it, let us work what is good toward all.” (Gal. 6:10) Applying that principle can be a challenge if a workmate or a schoolmate treats us mean. Instead, we need to remember the words: “Do not show yourself heated up because of the evildoers.” (Ps. 37:1) Applying that counsel will help us to respond respectfully even to opposers.

Keep showing respect to your parents even though you feel what they say is wrong. That kind of respect makes others more likely to listen to your side and how you feel. Remember respect does not come when demanded, you must earn respect by how you speak and act and by what you are.

Peace,
    Hope12

dronit Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 02:16 AM
    She is clearly not ashamed at being budist. She is worried about telling her parents because she feels they are closed minded and would not acsept her beliefs, and do what 'fFr_Chuck' said call her 'ignerat' for not beleving as he does.

I would say to you that you are free to believe what you like and if some one has a problem with that then it tis there problem not yours. But if you think your parents really can't handle it then its up to you to tell them or not. It is very hard to change some ones mind when they believe very srtongly.

Good luck
    Peace and respect
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jun 29, 2011, 05:20 AM

If you believe in an afterlife and something beyond the now, then it is your afterlife that you must look after. Do so with conviction and well-meaning focus, and your parents will accept it or they will not. I do many things my parents do not accept, but they love and respect me all the same. I cannot say that some of my friends have the same luck as me, but that's just the way it works sometimes.

Respect your parents and their beliefs, and if you want to- be honest with them about your beliefs. Perhaps once they are aware of how you practice your faith, they will not say offensive things about Buddhism. They might even learn some things about Buddhism that they didn't know before.

Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12 View Post
    I am so sorry I posted my answerto 9the wrong post. ( I will hope this apology satisfies you both Parcelete and Moparbyfar.)

Hello rorelam:

Sometime people have closed minds, Chertians fight Christians, Buddist eill fight Buddist, yet our Creator has given each one of us the right or free will to chose what is right for them and what they wish to believe. Some will think their teachings are the right way only to learn they are wrong. thers will be too stupid and closed minded to even test out to see if what they believe is fact or fiction.

I was always taught as a Chritian to show respect for what others believe, even if we personally disagree.
    “As long as we have time favorable for it, let us work what is good toward all.” (Gal. 6:10) Applying that principle can be a challenge if a workmate or a schoolmate treats us mean. Instead, we need to remember the words: “Do not show yourself heated up because of the evildoers.” (Ps. 37:1) Applying that counsel will help us to respond respectfully even to opposers.

Keep showing respect to your parents even though you feel what they say is wrong. That kind of respect makes others more likely to listen to your side and how you feel. Remember respect does not come wen demanded, you must earn respect by how you speak and act and by what you are.

Peace,
    Hope12

Hope I have never seen you so incoherent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be Religious Like Jesus was [ 22 Answers ]

I want to go to church but like all churches you have to be there when they want you there In the name of God this cannot be right. Pilgrims travel miles to Celebrate Jesus Christ. Why when I want to do the same at my local church can I not. The doors of heaven are open to all not if your...

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

Religious Freedom [ 16 Answers ]

I have been reading where the IRS has been investigating more churches for getting involved in Politics by indorcing canidates or by telling people to vote for people that have certain beleifs ( and other reasons) that violate IRS rules and regulatoins. Does this not violate the churches...

Religious Mystery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a movie with the following actors: Robert Di Niro, Robert Divall, Charles Durney. It was a Catholic theme movie that had mystery and complications. I think the movie was made around 1980. I can't seem to remember the title though.? Please reply asap if you have any info that...

View more questions Search