Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LostLilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 09:19 PM
    I am lost
    Okay so I have never used one of this bulletin posting sites before and I am not sure how they work... but I don't know where else to turn.

I am 24 years old and have been through many travels in my life. One thing that has never been a part of my life is religion. Neither one of my parents practice any type of religion. As a child I went to church maybe once a year with my grandmother with whom I am not close with at all. But other than that I have nothing. I am not getting to that point in my life that I have felt very lost. And something in me is saying that maybe there is a reason I feel so lost.

I lost two of my best friends 2 years ago and dealing with the tragedy of their death I thought there can't be a god because who would take such amazing people out of this world. But then I believe that he has a better purpose for them that I just do not know about yet.

Well I am scared because I don't know what to believe when I pass. Or when more people in my family pass. I want to believe in something but I don't know how. Do I sound crazy yet. I guess I am just lost. Anyone who can show me guidance it would be greatly appreciated.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2007, 11:34 PM
    It sounds like you have your own personal beliefs already. Believe in yourself. Believe that God's spirit is within you and if you ask him, he will reveal himself to you. Your thoughts will be much clearer. Any questions, thoughts, answers you get. You will know deep down in your soul and spirit whether it is right or not. Gods spirit is not in a book, it is in us all. It is up to us to open ourselves to his spirit and except his guidance.
    PatrickG Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jan 25, 2007, 03:58 PM
    The greatest questions in the world have all been about religion. But I think the hardest questions to answer are the ones you ask yourself.

I have always questioned why god has let bad things happen to me, and I'm sure you are no different. And christianities cop out answer is god gave us free will and the results of them are not his fault! That is bull and we both know it.

So what's the answer? Research. If your thinking doing homework like research is not your cup of tea you will be surprised how fullfilling it is. I consider myself agnostic, I do believe in any organised religion, but there has to be something. Right?

My advice is don't look up web sites or literature that are in anyway biased and don't listen to so called "bible-bashers" they don't educate you they ram there beliefs down your throat. Looking for meaning in life is a journey and not a task, and don't forget to relate all your expierences to your studys it will help you even more.

Have fun, I did.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jan 25, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Finding religion is never an easy thing to do. I ended up making my own path when I was at the point you're currently at, but even deciding to do so wasn't easy, and it just gets harder.

What you need to do is to simply go out searching. Read up on various faiths (getting multiple viewpoints on what they're about), talk to members, speak with their leaders. Make a judgment based on the tenets, and do what you can to avoid basing any decision on the people themselves... people can and do behave considerably differently from how their faith says they should, so basing anything on them isn't necessarily making a decision on the faith they claim to represent.

Find something that fits what you already believe about life, personal behavior, etc, and go from there. If nothing feels right, then go the way I went and make your own path... just be sure to hold yourself to the standards you set, or you won't have made any real change in your life.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jan 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
    We all like to think there is something "more" after death. And that incomprehensible things make some sort of sense in the big picture. And when its all said and done, where do we stack up as a spiritual being. Lost is a great place to be when searching for answers because it affords you such an open mind, Lilly.

I am still a little lost, LOL, or so I like to think. And I have greatly enjoyed delving into all kinds of religions and belief systems in pursuit of some of those answers we all want. I encourage you to do likewise. One of my most favorite books is called The Spirituality of Imperfection. Its packed with snippets from all kinds of religions and it helped foster in my belief system two important elements in any spriitual journey - an appreciation for variety and personal humility.

And if you aren't big on reading, feel free to talk to as many religious sorts you care to -- priest, minister, rabbi, etc. They should find your curiosity a joy to respond to, I would think.

I hope that helps?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 06:51 PM
    For me, it's been useful to make a distinction between religion (churches, institutions, doctrines, holy books, etc.) and spirituality--the awareness of and exploration of the part of life that deals with our highest and best ideals and aspirations. By making the distinction, I don't mean to put down religion, just to make clear that it isn't the only path to spiritual growth and understanding. There are spiritually aware and mature people in every faith, and many who are not associated with any religious tradition.

I think that every person has a spiritual nature whether they acknowledge and cultivate it or not, and whether they associate it with religious organizations or not. In my own experience, the people who have contributed most to my spiritual growth and awareness have been those who were not associated with formal religion. For many people, religious institutions and traditions are comforting and helpful. Since you weren't raised in that environment, I think you may find it harder to feel comfortable there, but don't take my word for it, try it and see if it fits. If it works for you, great, but if not, don't give up on your spiritual quest.

I understand the desire to look for spiritual comfort after the death of someone close to you. The sudden death of my best friend was a turning point in my own experience. I can't say that I have any certainty about what happens after death, but I can say that my conviction that there is a spiritual dimension to our being has helped me to cope with loss and disappointment in a more constructive and creative way than I could have without it. That's the real test, and the real payoff as far as I'm concerned.

Certainty is overrated, it seems to me. Most of the really obnoxious and arrogant people I've known were also the most certain about everything. Humility and certainty don't seem to mix well, and if I have to choose, I'll take humility every time.
    boogie32b Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Hi Lily,
    I understand your feelings of being lost. I think we all wonder about life after death and the bigger questions in life. And if you think about it, nothing is more important than to know what's true and what isn't. I know it's popular to believe all religions and all ways lead to God, but that isn't what the bible teaches. Sincerity in what you believe is admirable, but you can be sincere and still be mistaken. I might believe with all my heart that the moon is made from cheese, but my sincerity doesn't make it so. "That's so narrow-minded!" I can hear everyone screaming that is reading this. But it's not narrow because God is a jerk, it's narrow because of necessity. People don't realize in this generation that their sin is a big deal. God can't just ignore it or pretend it didn't happen. He's just. Meaning he has to pronounce judgement on it. God isn't a big kiss in the sky that is going to overlook all the sins we've committed. He can't because he can't go against his holy nature. But he does love us and sent Jesus for that reason. Jesus came to earth, didn't sin like the rest of us, therefore he was able to be a perfect "sacrifice" for our sins. As he hung on the cross, he suffered and paid the penalty for your and my sins and in exchange, we can have his "sinlessness" so to speak. If we come to him for forgiveness and surrender our lives to him for him to control, he forgives us from the sin that separated us from him. John 14:6 says, (this is Jesus speaking) "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." Notice he didn't claim to be "a" way, but "the" way. And if there's any question if that's what he meant, the second part of the verse is plain. "no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." Narrow, yes. But free to all who will receive it and who will give up all to follow him.
    sexybeasty Posts: 112, Reputation: 16

Feb 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Jesus loves you. Ask for a deeper understanding with sincerity and He will provide it in His time. I believe when you truly search and have an open heart, the answers will indeed come. Blessings to you. Love will find a way!

By the way, God has a plan for everyone. It is their choice whether to follow it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm so lost... please help me [ 2 Answers ]

OK forget that last message... I've done it I've had my 1st real kiss and lets just say it was the funniest thing ever, OK my boyfriend kept making grunting noises and stuff and I couldn't help but laugh so, I ended up choking on our spit!hahahaha it was so funny!if you have some funny stories...

So Lost Someone Help Please... [ 7 Answers ]

How can you tell ovulation if you have an irrigular period for instance I only have a period every 3-5 months and when I do have one it is very light and only 3 days long I have never been to an ob/gyn and currently have not the funds to see one any suggestions theories or advice all welcome...

Need help I'm lost [ 3 Answers ]

Hi got a problem with my PC I think.the other day my PC shut down and said"dumping memory" and told me the problem was "tcpip.sys page fault in monopaged area" does any one know what that means and how I can fix it as I'm lost

Lost [ 18 Answers ]

Ok so the first season has just finished in the UK and I'm even more confused than ever!! What on earth is going on ? Is that why it's called LOST as everyone has lost the plot? What's your theory on the whole story? Season 2 starts in the spring, but I can't wait so I'm going to have to...

View more questions Search