Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daza2838 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Need to replace a 6m long sill beam on 200yr German Fachwerk House, ideas?
    I'm replaceing a 6m sill beam in a 200 yr old Fachwerk House (in Germany). Currently I'm repairing the stand stone foundation so that it's securely in place before the sill job gets underway. I've been told I can replace the wooden beam with a concrete poured beam any ideas?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Apr 17, 2011, 10:11 AM

Certainly a concrete sill would be better that a wooden one. If you can construct a form that allows you to completely fill it with concrete, ensuring there's no air pockets, you should be in good shape.
    daza2838 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 01:09 PM

Do you think it would be OK to do smaller sections at a time ? I don't fancy removeing the whole lot at one time and supporting the entire side, she's a heavy old place...
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Apr 18, 2011, 03:16 AM

I think you could do it in sections as long as you tie each section together with rebar. Ie: extend the rebar through the end cap of the first section, then remove that end cap for next section and repeat as necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

How to replace sill plate on gable end wall [ 0 Answers ]

I have a rotten sill plate and sheathing on the gable end wall of a one story ranch. There is a short 4 foot high wall on top of the foundation wall supproting the first floor. It is 2X4 construction with 1/2" OSB sheathing and vinyl siding. The sill is rotted due to almost no clearance between...

How to replace a rotten wooden window sill [ 3 Answers ]

Never done this before and would like to know where to start and what tools would be needed.The rest of the frames are sound (TwoExtreior sills both 6ft long.) I have very little experience of extrerior wood repairs Could you please help and advise any essential tools. Thank you!:)

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

Need to know how to Replace a termite damaged beam in basement. [ 2 Answers ]

Need to know how to remove a damaged termite damaged beam in basement wall stud.

View more questions Search