Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2011, 08:15 AM
    I have to write a job posting
    I have been promoted to a manager position at my company. I have two immediate tasks I need to take care of one fire a Tech Support person which is no problem. The other is write a job listing for that persons position.

I know what I want to say but I don't know how to start it. It is an entry level Tech support position What I want to get across in the opening is I need someone who knows about Networks, can install Hardware, must be willing to travel, must be able to solve problems over the phone and must be able to work independently. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 08:31 AM

I've alerted the troops to give you input.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 09:59 AM

The troops haven't arrived yet. I've helped people with resumes for years and, of course, had job descriptions for the jobs I performed in Libraryland.

Here's a very rough outline I adapted from a Web site (you'd have to tweak it, of course) --

Entry-level technical support professional:
    * works under the guidance of senior technicians
    * reviews the company's computer systems, operating equipment, and machinery
    * examines customer requests
    * identifies potential defects in corporate machinery
    * provides routine maintenance support

Responsibilities:
    * documents and resolves client operating problems
    * communicates with customers to ensure operating systems and equipment are functional
    * learns about technical product features
    * interacts with computer servers and archival databases

Abilities, Tools, and Technologies:
    * possesses good communication skills
    * manages time and completes tasks within deadlines
    * uses computer tool kits, wire crimpers, screwdrivers, and disaster recovery software

Education and Salary:
    * associate's degree in computer science or information systems or sufficient practical experience
    * annual wages, $54,000
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 12, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Education and Salary:
    * associate's degree in computer science or information systems or sufficient practical experience
    * annual wages, $54,000
    I wish ;)

Honestly you don't need a degree in Comp Sci to do a helldesk job, just an ability to follow instructions and make decent tea ;)

Also that's about double what a telephone monkey gets paid, at least in the UK..
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks WG. Curly that is the thing they keep hiring phone monkeys but this position isn't really that at all. There are no instructions cause all of our systems are custom made to what the customers wants (they are fuel management systems) I want to make this posting very clear that if you have no technical skills don't bother applying.

The person who has the job pretty much lied in the interview. Well I can't say lie but told half truth she was asked if she knew SQL she said yes but what she really meant was the application she used was on a SQL network so really no experience with it at all. Plus she really has no idea how to independently trouble shoot I mean every call she gets she is in my office asking me for the answers (which is what she did at her old job). I don't need that I need someone who knows what to do if our system is not communicating on a network.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 12:06 PM

I would think customer service (people skills) would be extremely important -- both left brain and right brain must work well together.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 12, 2011, 12:13 PM
    And a fully charged cattle prod ;)
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2011, 12:27 PM

Yes WG people skills are a must and the person who does the job now just really doesn't have those skills. I hear her saying what, huh , Yeah Listen. It drives me insane
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 04:59 PM

HI Spit,

I like WG's # 4 especially the format. I would add that these are minimum requirements.

I would sit down and make a thorough list of all the expected items that you want this person to comply. And then put that in WG's format.

Stringer
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 05:12 PM

Sadly no matter what you post people with less experience will apply hoping to sneak by you.

Once you get a few resumes you think are promising it's up to you to weed out the wannabes.

I would suggest that you not focus so much on the ad, but focus on the applicants you get. Set up a test to see if they really know what they're doing. A lot of interviews require that you show that you know your stuff.

Yes, it's more work in the long run, but it will get you the best candidate for the job. I'd even mention in the ad that their skills will be tested before they are employed. Hopefully that will deter them from lying about their skills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search