Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raizen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Suicide in men
    Why do men resort to more violent methods of suicide than women?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 12, 2011, 05:33 AM
    Who says they do, rather a generalisation there..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 05:34 AM

I don't know that this is the correct category for this question BUT it's my understanding that women care more about their appearance and are careful not to "deface" the corpse.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2011, 09:25 AM

As relates to the US your statement holds true. Male completed suicides by firearm constitute the largest category by method.

One explanation, and generally advanced is that the selected method is strongly influenced by access and familiarity. So in the US firearms are widely available and men are most likely to be the primary user, most familiar. Pair that with the usually rapid onset of the suicidal crisis, the solitary and secretive nature of the act, in most instances, and the resort to readily available lethal resources is better understood.

Females most often choose pharmaceuticals. Women are prescribed medications at a rate far in excess of males, therefore possessing, familiar with these substances and therefore readily available for lethal use.

The above relates to the US. If you review World Health Organization (WHO) figures means and methods vary by country and region with poisoning becoming more prevalent in both male and female. The access and familiarity holds but the gender disparity between violence (disfigurement?) tends to be reduced.

The above isn't the answer to your question. There are also cultural and social implications. Past learning, etc. But, in general, I believe these factors are part of the equation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 10:25 AM

Sadly while a general statement it is fairly true, often when a women is found shot, it is looked at much closer if they think suicide since use of a fire arm is one of the least used for women and most used for men. We were told at the police academy it is because they want to look good for the viewing. Also they seldon shot theirself in the head.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Sadly while a general statement it is fairly true, often when a women is found shot, it is looked at much closer if they think suicide since use of a fire arm is one of the least used for women and most used for men. We were told at the police academy it is because they want to look good for the viewing. also they seldon shot theirself in the head.

That's my understanding - women want to look good, even when dead. Shudder.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2011, 11:19 AM

I don't mean to be argumentative and while vanity may very well be a consideration, the fact remains that women employ an indexed violent method (firearm, hanging, strangulation, suffocation*) in 52% of suicides. While poison (overdose, etc) is the leading cause of death in F-suicides at 37+% firearms are a close second at 32%. (This is based on Suicide Rates for US during 2004) A recent World Health Organization (international) actually shows death by firearm to exceed poison in the US for females 35/31% (WHO Bulletin and not sure if available on line)

*hanging, etc is classed as violent in statistical indexes .
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 23, 2011, 04:49 AM
    There's a lot more to ponder.
    Far more men succeed (in the US) than women. What does that suggest? Women are more prone to 'cry for help' attempts than men? Men wouldn't be caught dead failing?
    And what about all the so called non violent ways men destroy themselves, with drugs and booze or wanting to be sent to the front lines of war?
    What about all the vehicle accidents that aren't recorded as suicide, because men aren't supposed to be so 'weak' as to want to commit suicide?
    The questions go on and on, and you could write books about them, and people do.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    There's a lot more to ponder.
    Far more men succeed (in the US) than women. What does that suggest? Women are more prone to 'cry for help' attempts than men? Men wouldn't be caught dead failing?
    And what about all the so called non violent ways men destroy themselves, with drugs and booze or wanting to be sent to the front lines of war?
    What about all the vehicle accidents that aren't recorded as suicide, because men aren't supposed to be so 'weak' as to want to commit suicide?
    The questions go on and on, and you could write books about them, and people do.
    You are absolutely right. Men complete far more often and women attempt at far greater rates. There's voluminous literature on this disparity although it remains unanswered.

Your two other comments vehicular suicide and heroic suicide (I call it the Audie Murphy Syndrome) are seldom contemplated let alone investigated. High speed, single occupant, crashes are seldom reviewed unless they are preceded by a suicide note or other irrefutable facts. Acts of heroism... be it in war or not are never subjected to review.

When you look at attempt suicides, demonstrative actions, as a cry for help or attention another interesting category necessarily develops. Accidental death by pseudo-suicidal means. I have personally dealt with a few where the decedent, usually teenage, with no intent to end their life died as a result of miscalculation. Usually because they anticipated intervention that didn't materialize (guests or parents arriving at set time, etc).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 23, 2011, 08:18 AM
    DrBill, I'm glad you responded again.
    I remember that not too many years ago, children couldn't even be called suicides (had to be 'accident'), by doctors and coroners? Then it was children below a certain age, and again, there were younger children killing themselves?

The miscalculation idea sounds like a good one.

And with teens putting any substance in their bodies for the risk and bragging rights, it's hard to know who is flirting with death and who is hoping for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to ward off married men, men I don't want? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know if there's something I'm doing wrong. I keep attracting these married men who or guys who I know don't care about me, but want to use me. And I'm not at all interested in any of them. I know I may be a kind, nice person but I'm no dummie either. And I tell these men I am celibate and...

Suicide [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I just read about this poor 85 year old lady who has lost control over her own life. What an undignified way to go! I wouldn't want to end it that way - and I'm not going to. I'll decide when it's over. Tell me why I should end up crapping in my pants. Do you crap your pants? ...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search