Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patib Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 02:18 PM
    Discrimination
    I worked as a temporary assistant with another girl, my position is a hourly position and the other girl was a salary position. The other girl was promoted to another position and now I am the only one working the position in hope that they would hire me permanent to take her position. The job is no longer salary, it is now an hourly job. Other than the girl I was working with I am the only other person in the whole plant who knows that job. The job has now been posted for anyone else to apply. The word around the plant is that the job is going to be given to someone else who is already permanent and has more siniority than I do because I am a temporary employee who's been called back 3 times and this last time I have been there since August 2010. Is this considered discrimination and if so can I file a discrimination suite against them.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2011, 02:28 PM

If the job is being advertised as a salaried job, then apply for it yourself, and if you don't get it (bearing in mind your experience at the job), then you may have grounds for discrimination.

Otherwise, it could be an exercise in trying it keep the staff figures low. Permanent salaried employees are more expensive to the company than worker they pay by the hour.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
    You have a different position from the job advertise.

You never had that position, you are just taking on the load of work that the person left behind. If there's a job posting, then you should apply for it. That would make the process more fair, because if they just gave you the job, then no one else would have the opportunity to apply for it.

If you already have experience in doing the exact work that they are describing, then that should give you an upper hand at the interview, but they are not obligated to give you that position.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 02:42 PM

I sincerely doubt it is discrimination.

It is sometimes VERY expensive to hire on a temporary worker as a permanent worker--especially if you came from a placement agency

Also, it it somewhat traditional for those with more seniority to get a position if all other qualifications are equal.

You would have a VERY hard time showing this as discrimination unless you have more information than you've posted here.

Apr 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
    Comment on Synnen's post
    No I did no come from a placement agency, I've worked for this company for almost 3 years off and on and I am now working in that position because I am the only other one who knows how to do the job and yes I did apply for it also

Apr 11, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Comment on I wish's post
    Thank you, and yes I did apply also. Its just going around that the position might be given to one of the permanent employees with no experience instead of me who know the full knowledge of the job

Apr 11, 2011, 03:43 PM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    Thank you, I did apply, just waiting to see if I get it regardless of the rumors going around in the plant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 07:57 PM

It is discrimination that you can sue for, if they don't give you the job because of your race, or because of your religious faith or another protected class.

But most discrimination is not illegal and can not be sued for, they can not give it to you because of your weight or even hair color, ( stupid reasons but allowed )

They don't have to give it to you just because you know it better, in fact giving it to a person with more seniority may even be required by their rules.

I often had to give jobs when I worked for the Federal Government to people who were less trained or not even trained for jobs, because they wanted minority person to be hired.

Have you also went and talked to the hiring manager to sell yourself ?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2011, 10:07 AM

I don't see discrimination here. The first person was a direct employee while you were a temp - they had seniority and were already on their direct payroll so would naturally be given preference in the situation which is not discrimination - it's based on service and not on your race or things of that nature.

In the case of your current position, you remain a temp and therefore are not a direct employee. They may have a policy to advertise all jobs and may have a policy to give preference to current employees. This is standard business and there's nothing discriminatory about it.

You don't say anything about racial differences, or only men being hired, etc. It sounds like they are giving preference to their existing employees compared to temps - that's not only not discriminatory but actually strikes me as extremely fair. Why should a direct employee be given the same or lesser consideration than a temp? That wouldn't be fair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible discrimination? [ 9 Answers ]

I was a manager of walmart for nearly three years during this time I was stuck with an employee who was above all the rules because he was a higher managers friend . During my time at walmart my fellow supervisors and I had more problems with this employee then we could handle and he was never...

Discrimination or not [ 1 Answers ]

Have a tenant who moved in on August 15, 2008. After signing a 6-month lease with her, we realized that this woman isn't ready to be living on her own. She was released from a nursing home where she was living in the brain injury center. We spoke with her family case worker, who agrees with us...

Discrimination or what? [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is having a real serious problem at her job. About 6 months ago, she went into a new position at her workplace, where she has been 8 years now. She is the plant/office secretary. Three months after she was there, they moved her (and her helper) from her office into a broom closet, or at...

Discrimination? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have an question about an pargraph that my boss has read on a company purchase order. It stated " During the performance of this contract( or purchase order), the contractor/vendor agrees to comply with all Federal, State and Local Laws respecting discrimination in employment and...

Is This Discrimination ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. I live in FL, and a friend of mine was fired because her boss said that she didn't fit in to the 4 person office she was working at. I told her that it is because is was the only black female there. Everyone else was white. She was there only 3 or 2 weeks and her boss had...

View more questions Search