Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djc1971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 09:58 AM
    3 wire telephone line?
    I live in a 110 year old house. I followed the phone line to inside the house where there are a tone of different phone wires. I remode the kitchen a year ago and rememeber a line in the basement but its only a 3 wire line. No color lines just 3 lines twist together. If I want to turn this into an up to date phone line how do I connect the red and green wire to a unknown color wires?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 04:07 PM

Either trace the wires back to the NID to see what terminals they connect to or remove the old wiring and pull a new CAT3 or better unshielded twisted pair(s) to a 66 or 110 block and then home run new wiring from all the jacks back to the block. It's a bit of work, but if you take the latter route you will know what you have and be able to support DSL and multiple phones/lines, etc. HomePhoneWiring.com is helpful if you go that route.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 05:11 PM

If they are connected, then a with a Multimeter, you could look for 48 Volts DC on a pair, then the Negative is Red and the Positve is green.
    gunner_00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 09:58 PM
    Sometimes, if you look closely, there is a red or green tracer thread in the insulation in those old wires. Really though, they need replaced if possible. Otherwise, without communication specific tools, you just use any 2 wires at the jack, then hook the other end to what you know has dial tone and swap wires out until you get dial tone in that phone. If you plug a cordless into the jack, you can take the handset to the basement/outside with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telephone wire instead of thermostat wire [ 5 Answers ]

I need to run about 60 feet of thermostat wire. I have hundreds of feet of coated telephone wire. Can I use this instead of buying the real stuff? I experimented with a short 2 foot section at the furnace and closed the loop and the zone triggered so I know it works but are there any concerns...

Is it OK I replaced speaker wire with telephone wire? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old component stereo system that we unpacked from the box only to find only one speaker had the wires for it. It's kind where a single larger cord is made up of 4 small wires that you stick the bare wire ends into color-coded holes both in speakera and in stereo. So I took some tleephone...

Static on Telephone Line [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have what I think is static noises on my cordless telephone. The noise is like rushing air but it's very loud. Because of this noise I have just replaced my old phones with new phones (2). The new phones are recommended as 'Best Buys' by Which Magazine so I'm pretty sure that they are not...

Can't plug in the telephone line. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My sister bought a used PC.. the CPU has no slot for plugging in the telephone line. Is there anything we can add/replace in order to plug in the tel. line? Thanks.

View more questions Search