Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HorrorQueen Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2011, 07:02 AM
    Infection/Inflamation in navel area?
    For the past few weeks I've noticed an itchiness and redness in my navel. This is coupled with stomach pains on occasion (a few times a week) and often an unconfortable feeling of a tugging behind where my belly button is. Tugging or pulling is the only way I can describe it.

Also fluid keeps leaking from it, as does an unpleasant odour.

What could this be and what should I do about it?

Thank you,
    Beth
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 07:13 AM

I notice that you post on the piercing board - is your navel pierced?

Apr 11, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Hi Judy - my navel was pierced in the past but it has been healed for a couple of years now and the leaking/itchiness is coming from somewhere that seems to be right inside the nevel itself, not the skin surrounding it, if that makes any sense. Thanks for your reply
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 07:29 AM

About 8 years ago I investigated (I'm a liability investigator) a navel piercing that went terribly wrong. Girl ended up with an infection some two years after the piercing. Started with a discharge and she ended up in the hospital with quite an infection.

Turned out she was under age (even though she had parental consent) so she sued the tattoo artist who did the piercing and won a large settlement.

I have stepchildren. When they say "piercing" I tell this story - they're sick of hearing it but I'm not sick of telling it.

Apr 11, 2011, 09:00 AM
    Oh wow. That sounds pretty nasty. I'm not sure it's that because the scar from my old piercing is intact, I can feel it and it doesn't hurt nor is any fluid leaking from there. But I think I might get it checked out at the doctors if the stomach pain doesn't stop soon. Thanks, hope your stepchildren listen to you!
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HorrorQueen View Post
    Oh wow. That sounds pretty nasty. I'm not sure it's that because the scar from my old piercing is intact, I can feel it and it doesn't hurt nor is any fluid leaking from there. But I think I might get it checked out at the doctors if the stomach pain doesn't stop soon. Thanks, hope your stepchildren listen to you!

I tell them to listen on the off chance I might some day say something important - so far I haven't.

Let us know what the Doctor says. (Enjoy your responses, by the way. Comprehensive, well thought out. Welcome to AMHD!)

Apr 14, 2011, 04:47 AM
    Thank you very much Judy, it's nice to hear someone likes what I'm thinking! :)

I will let you know what the doctor says, from Googling the problem it could be just an infection or (with the stomach pains included) a urachal (I hope that's spelled correctly) cyst.

Either way, the doctor should hopefully be able to sort it out for me.

Thanks for the advice! And the kids should listen to you by the way, I've been reading your responses and you give great advice!
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 10:33 AM

Please come back and let us know what the Doctor says - I'm always interested if I'm on target, off target, somewhere in between.

I hope you stay with the site and contribute. And thanks for the compliment!
    libenitz Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2011, 06:35 PM
    I really hope the original poster will update us on the diagnosis.

My toddler relative most likely has a urachal cyst.

She has an appt with surgeon in 2 days.
    I'd like to know if they most usually do laparoscopic surgery for this.
    And what is the average hospital stay.

Anyone who can help, I'd be grateful. And no, she's never had a piercing(age 3)!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Muscullar inflammation [ 3 Answers ]

How to cure muscular inflammation? Any advise?

Eye lid inflammation [ 10 Answers ]

Hello: My cat has an eye lid inflammation. The vet tells me it's an allergy - but he doesn't know from what. I'm changing her food, her flea medicine, her snacks - everything. But, nothing is happening. She's itching 'em almost raw, and I hate to see her in pain. Can I give her an...

Can you pierce your navel if the hole from a previous navel piercing won't grow up? [ 2 Answers ]

all right well, I got my navel pierced in the 8th grade, and it got ripped out during a cheerleading game. The hole completely grew up and I got it re-pierced. During the beginning of my 9th grade year I snagged my belly ring on a shirt and it ripped... badly, but it didn't rip out.. the skin was...

View more questions Search