Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunburst7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 07:51 PM
    We are thinking about moving our yoga studio business to a new location which will
    ... require 'building out' the new space. There are 220 volt outlets already installed in many areas. Lots of them. One contractor seemed excited about "all the power" already there. Is there an advantage to utilizing the 220 volt power in the space? If so, what is the best way? Can we plug all the normal things into the outlets? Would the 220 volt power help keep our light dimmer (6 dimmers running 5 lights each) switchplate in the studio from getting hot? Any helpful ideas and/or suggestions would be most appreciated - Electrical Layman.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 07:56 PM

No you can only plug in 220 volt items into a 220 volt outlt, I have no idea what yoga school has that would be 220?
    A window air unit, perhaps some commercial exercise equipment ?

But you will not be running lights or fans and the such off it.

If your switch to your lights are getting hot, it is too many amps for the wiring, and/or a breaker larger than the wiring and a seroius fire issue.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 02:46 AM
    Dimmers get hot normally. When ganged together, the load on each dimmer is to be derated to compensate for the heat that will be created. Some or all of the 240 volt outlets can be converted to 120 volt receptacles that will be needed.

Your electrician should be able to handle both issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've been thinking about moving [ 10 Answers ]

I haven't been on here in a LONG time. I feel like I need some input before I think about this anymore than I already have. I'm sure this could go into numerous categories so I'm sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong place. Here's the story and I apologize in advance for the length. First off, I...

Almost 16 thinking of moving out [ 11 Answers ]

Ok my story is long but here are the basics. I am Bulgarian lived in Canada for 5 years with my mom we have moved a lot. A year ago we moved to Edmonton AB and there I met a lot of people that are important to me I ended up falling in love with a girl now me and here where together for 4 months...

The girl that I like is thinking of moving in with her ex. [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone believe in signs? Either a show comes on with the similar situation that you are in, fortune cookie, something that keeps reminding you about a certain person etc... do you think you should act on the signs or follow what your heart feels? Thanks pheniox01

View more questions Search