Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simon_lawrence Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Murray riding lawn mower , cant get it started.
    I have a Murray riding lawn mower that I can't get started, I have changed the key switch and had the starter checked an it is okay, and the battery is good. It has a briggs and stratton 18hp motor, the motor cranks without spark plug but won't crank with spark plug, starter draws 20 to 30 amps, is that normal?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 07:23 PM

Can you give us the actually engione model number for the B&S? Have you checked your oil level to make sure its just right and not overfilled? Done a compression test yet?
    bleeb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 07:23 PM
    If there is oil in the combustion chamber, that might do it. My father in law had that problem with his roto tiller, thought he was helping preserve the engine by dumping oil in it in the fall:) 20 to 30 amps doesn't sound like very much oomph. Sure the battery is good? Turn your lights on while cranking, if they go dim, get the battery checked again. Batteries can be deceptive creatures.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2011, 08:32 AM

Make sure engine has a good ground to battery , this will cause it to pull lots of current.
    Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray 12.5 Riding Lawn Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the belt on the lawn mower but the model number is partially missing. This is a 38" cut and an older moldel probably early 90's. How do I find out what belt I need. Any suggestions

Murray Riding Lawn mower won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Murray riding lawn mower that is not starting. It is used, the first time I used it, it worked fine, second time it kept dying. Now I cannot get it started. I ran the battery down so I did charge it to full, it sounds like it wants to start but won't. I did notice under the seat there...

Murray 12.5 HP 40" riding lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to install the belt on a Murray 12.5 HP 40" riding lawnmower.

Murray Riding Lawn Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys.. When I crank my mower... it turns over but will not actually crank. I should start by saying that I did a "no-no". I had a weak battery and several times used my car to start (jump off) the lawn mower.. Since then I have gotten a new battery, but now it won't crank. I noticed smoke...

Wires on murray riding lawn mower. [ 3 Answers ]

My dog pulled wires loose on our mower. I don't have the instruction booklet to put them back correctly. Please help!

View more questions Search