Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimstoll104 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Boyfriend's Best Friend Passing Away
    I need some help. My boyfriend's best friend of 13 years committed suicide a couple days ago. This came as a tremendous shock to everyone including him. I have never experienced a close death before, so I'm not sure what to say to him or even know how to console him. I feel at a loss of what to say and am afraid that he will start to become distant with me. I'm almost feeling that he wants me to be how his friend was and it's difficult because we had completely different personalities. I also feel helpless because I live quite a ways from him and can't be with him all the time. I understand he's going through the grieving process and I want to be there for him 100% but I just don't know what I can do to help him if anything. Can someone provide me some direction as to how I might be able to help him through this?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 07:28 PM

It's a difficult situation that he is going through. And for you to participate in it really means to be there for him as he needs it and yet not judge him for the process he is going through. People grieve in different ways. He may even question himself and play what if games in his own head. Its OK its part of the process just so long as it doesn't control him. Just make sure he knows your willing to support him through this tough time. You don't want to smother him nor place your expectations upon him. We are all different in that manner.

Sorry for the loss.
    kimstoll104 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you califdadof3

He has been talking about "what if" scenarios and "i wish" comments. I don't think this will control him, but on the other hand I can't help but feel helpless when when he's talking about his friend. I do try to bring up the good times that they've had and it seems to help. That's good advice and I'll definitely use it. Thank you again for the help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2011, 10:04 AM

The best thing you can do for him is to listen - second guessing yourself, "what if," that's all part of the grieving process.

Listen - that's what he needs right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend's best friend? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend's best friends use to be in love with me but we never had a relationship. He is coming to visit from out of state for New Years Eve. My boyfriend is choosing to hang out with him because he feels it will be uncomfortable for us to hang out all together. Is this reasonable or is he...

I'm falling for my boyfriend's best friend [ 10 Answers ]

So here is the thing, I have been dating my boyfriend for almost 2 years. I love him and feel really comfortable with him. But he is going to study abroad by the end of September, leaving on my birthday. Then, there is my best friend, who is also my boyfriends best friend; and who I have liked...

Should I hang out with the ex boyfriend's friend? [ 17 Answers ]

I broke up with my ex a year ago. I still have doubts about doing so because I haven't been interested in anyone since him. He has a new girlfriend and did 3 weeks after the breakup. They are still together. Now here's the problem. I was doing fine for a while. Then I ran into his friend who...

Sex with your boyfriend's best friend. [ 10 Answers ]

I've been dating my current boyfriend for over 3 years, and we've done pretty much everything together sexually. I recently asked him (about a month ago) "If you could have sex with anyone that you know, who would it be?" and he answered one of my friends that I've been friends with for 5 years. ...

Boyfriend's friend [ 8 Answers ]

I'll get right to it... my boyfriend of 14 years is a great guy and we do very well together with all aspects of our relationship. Recently a long time friend of his which happens to be female has come into our lives. I haven't known her personally, until recently. She is very much a lesbian only...

View more questions Search