Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scortcho Posts: 78, Reputation: 3

Apr 8, 2011, 09:04 PM
    I just won $40,000. What do I do?
    So I turned 18 in February and I just bought a $2 scratch ticket today, after scratching it I found it to be the top winning ticket! This is probably the best thing that's happened to me. However, I'm in the process of moving out of my parents house because our relationship is not good, if my mom found out that I won that much money she would try to get her hands on as much of it as possible. I'm driving down to olympia on Monday to pick up the money in cash. I have two questions, is there anything I should know about picling up the money at the lotto office? And I know I have to pay taxes on the winnings, but my mom still does all my taxes, is there any way I could avoid her finding out I won all this money when she does my taxes?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 8, 2011, 09:18 PM

Congratulations!

I don't think the store where you bought the ticket will give you that much money, but will simply verify the ticket as the winner and tell you how to get the money. (I might be very wrong, though.)

***Added*** I see you are going to the lotto office. They will give you instructions on how to handle this.

You're going to have to ask someone else to do your taxes next year if you don't want your mom to know about this money. You're 18 and will be out of her house, so isn't that doable?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 8, 2011, 09:25 PM

Get your taxes done on your own. You're now an adult, you'll be living on your own. I'm assuming that you have a job. So, get your tax info sent to your new place and get them done on your own. You should be the one getting the return (if there is one) anyway.

You can either get a program like turbo tax and do your taxes at home, or got to a place like H & R Block, who will do your taxes for a fee.

Set aside at least half of your winnings to cover the taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Assets? Liabilities $14,000 capital stock $11,000 Retained earnings $27,000 [ 1 Answers ]

What is assets, when liabilities are $14,000 capital stock $11,000 and retained earnings are $27,000

Lawn mower won't start , changed Plug , but Still won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My lawn mower won't Start , I tried Changing the Plug , But still won't Start

View more questions Search