Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Medicine Woman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Dual Citizenship
    Are there any countries where I can pick up a dual citizenship form, I am US born and don't want to loose my US citizenship - but I also don't want to have to get married just to get a citizenship from another country?:
    PoliticallyCorrect Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Oct 29, 2007, 10:32 AM
    There are a number of countries that 'sell' passports but these types of passport are useless for travel. The easiest way to get a real passport is through a parent or grandparent. The rules for ancestral passports vary from country to country with Ireland being the easiest.
    For an Irish foreign registry passport you need just an Irish born grandparent.

Marrying a foreigner does not give you automatic citizenship of that country except in a very few cases. Usually you also have to reside in the country first.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Actually I don't know of any country that you can just "pick up" citizenship from. In most cases you have to apply to be a permenent resident (or the equivalent in their system) and then a few years later (after spending a certain number of months per year living in that country) they will consider you a citizen.

You have to have some ties to the country to apply for the permanent residence (a work visa, ancestral ties etc) to even be considered

Oct 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Well you can certainly get an Irish passport (foreign registry) just by having a grandfather who was born there, I have one. I believe the Germans have a similar scheme but slightly more complex.

And my husband, with no Irish ancestry, was able to get an Irish passport through me even though neither of us have ever lived there although I think they have now stopped issuing spousal passports.
    myaai Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Hi there
    The African country of Ghana

Nov 1, 2007, 05:25 PM
    If your family came to the US from Ghana, maybe you can get a Ghanain passport?
    If you want dual citizenship this might be worth a try. Nothing else that is useful to you would be obtainable without a qualifying period of residence and a work permit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, I've got a question. My father is a natural born French citizen, living in the United States. I am eighteen years old, born in the United States, my mother is a US Citizen, my father is a French citizen. Would I qualify for dual citizenship because of the French with their "jus...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My name is Robert and I'm a legal permanent resident here in the United States, Came here with my parents when I was 4yrs of age. I do run into problems occasionally and was wondering, If I become a US citizen can I still retain my British Citizenship?:confused:

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

I am a French national and a permanent resident in the US. My husband is American. Apparently, there are tax advantages to my becoming an American citizen. What are the consequences, if any, from the French government's point of view of obtaining US citizenship? Has anyone gone through this...

View more questions Search