Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yangsoo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
    1031 exchange
    A friend of mine bouught a townhome years ago for a capital gain.
    He let his son live in there for free. He paid foe every bill himself, not his son.
    Now he is selling the townhome and buying a new house also for capital gain.
    Is this townhome qualified as investment property to make this sell-buy transaction 1031 exchange?

Thank you for your help!
    I appreciate it!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Technically, he could probably make the case that it qualifies for a 1031 exchange, if he could show that he "rented" the townhome to his son.

Morally and ethically, it does NOT qualify, as it is NOT a true rental or business property.
    wexeter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 06:11 PM
    No, it does not qualify as investment property at this point in time. The IRS would recharacterize the house as a second home because the son paid no rent or expenses.

He could have treated it as investment property had he charged the son fair market rent, but unfortunately he didn't, or if he held the property without letting a related party stay in the house rent free.

However, we now have Revenue Procedure 2008-16 that covers this scenario. Vacation homes and second homes can now be 1031 exchanged if:
    1. The property is owned for at least two (2) years
    2. The property is rented for a minimum of 14 days for each of those two (2) years
    3. The taxpayer's personal use of the property is limited to no more than 14 days each year or no more than 10% of the number of days that the property was rented

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air exchange system [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Just some questions about bad moisture on ALL window inside my home. I have a Venmar air exchange system and it is set at proper setting with accordance of outside temp. I seem to have so much dampness on windows that the window sill is soaked. How do I get rid of this annoying...

Air Exchange [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a new home and using radiant hydronic heating with no air conditioning because it is situated on a bulkhead on Puget Sound and gets enough of a breeze in summer to keep it cool. My question is: What is the best way to achieve excellent air flow for this house? At the back of...

Efficient Gas Exchange [ 1 Answers ]

How are gases exchanged in plants and mammals? Compare!

Buy Sell and Exchange [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me any good sites that you can "Buy Sell and Exchange" videos and dvds ? (Ireland or UK)

View more questions Search