Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garvinken1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 07:24 PM
    Where to file a foreign pension from 1042-s
    I am a resident alien that retired in August 2010 and left the USA in October.
    I received a 1042-s reporting the foreign persons US source income.
    Do I have to report this income on the 1040? If yes on what line would I report the gross income and federal tax withheld?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 01:21 PM
    You report it as a pension distribution on Line 17a and 17b of Form 1040NR if you are filing a dual-status return and you received the distribution AFTER you left in October 2010.

If you received the distribution BEFORE you left, list it on the Form 1040 of the dual-status return.

Note that the dual-status return is NOT a return for amateurs; get professional help!

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file 1040EZ if I have a 1042-S? [ 9 Answers ]

It's my sixth year on an F1 visa (I was a student for 5 years up until June of 2010, am now teaching on an OPT), so I can no longer file as a non-resident (according to CINTAX, a tax preparation software for foreign students and scholar). I received both a W2 (for the months that I taught) and a...

Foreign international filing taxes with 1042-S +earlier income [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, I am a foreign national who is working in the US where I have now tax-exempt status, and received the form 1042-S, after a treaty with my home country However, prior to my current job I was a graduate student, and earned taxable income from Jan-June 2009, but where another treaty...

How Do I File a 1042-S Form As A Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, In August 2008, I became a resident alien for tax purposes, which I guess makes me a dual-status alien. I have received a 1042-S form (income code 19, $0 withheld), but when doing my taxes with Turbotax, I was not able to find a place to provide the information given in the form. I have...

Are contributions to a foreign pension fund tax deductible? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, This is a question about pension funds in a foreign country eg: UK or Canada. If a US citizen or permanent resident is employed in a foreign country and he is contributing to the foreign company's pension fund, can he claim his contributions as tax...

Foreign pension [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to claim as income money that you receive from a foreign country from a pension?

View more questions Search