Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miihorseROX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 11:58 AM
    I tense up and cry during lessons.
    Hi, I've my horse for roughly three years now. I've become much more confident with him since starting lessons but he bucked me off during a canter last month and I can't seem to get past it. I'm not actually afraid when I'm trotting but while trotting without stirrups I've started tensing up and crying also I'm afraid during canter resulting in my instuctor becoming impatient with me.
    I'm thinking that I should take a lesson off and work at my own pace for the day.
    Do you have any ideas on how to help me get past this? Thank you.
    Chelsy.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2011, 12:53 PM

Yes, if you are that concerned you should either take time off OR work at your own pace. It is frustrating to be afraid or worried and have an instructor becoming impatient.

How to get past it? I think you have to address it - what are the chances you'll be bucked off again? Do you want to take that chance?
    erin1511 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Hey, well, this happened to my sister about two years ago, and she's just cantered for the first time last week.
    How did she get back on? Well, she just did it. And now, she won't stop.
    So, I guess what Im saying, is just do it. Take a deep breath, and just go for it.
    Because it will be fine, honest.. My pony used to buck in canter, and after the first time he did it, I hated riding him. But I tried a canter, and he didn't buck at all. And because he didn't do it, my confidence completely came back! I cantered every where on him. Yeah, he bucked from time to time, but it was fine, because it was Barney, and I loved him and I knew he wasn't meaning to scare me.

Just try it, see what happens..
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 8, 2012, 11:32 AM
    I've been riding for 50 years, taught riding, trained horses, run a farm... and I can STILL get totally blown away when fear sets in for some reason. So don't feel bad about it. You do need to get it under control, though. Taking a lesson off is certainly a good place to start.

Sometimes instructors (and I'm as guilty as any) don't realize from the perspective of all their experience, just how scared their students can get. A bucking horse is scary! Period! There's no surer way to kill enthusiasm than to introduce sheer terror. Since this is your horse, and you've had him for three years, I'm guessing he never bucked you off before. You not only were startled, but you feel suddenly as if you can't trust this guy you thought was your partner. It's like having your boyfriend cheat on you. LOL You need to regain your confidence in the relationship before you move forward, and you may find that's easier to do just between the two of you.

AND... there is never anything wrong with deciding that today is a bad day for your horse and opting not to canter, not to jump, not to whatever. Horses have things going on in their lives like we do, and we can't always guess what they are. Don't make a habit of letting fear stand in your way, but also don't feel like you have to put on bravado you don't really feel. That's dangerous for both of you. I nearly got killed when my gelding freaked because a hawk killed a rabbit in the field next to the riding ring just before I got on. Who knew? It took me an hour to figure it out... after I picked myself up and got the sand out of my nose.

Can you take a few lessons on someone else's horse? A horse that couldn't buck you off if it wanted to? And can you have someone check your saddle and other tack and your horse's back to make sure it wasn't a pain issue? Those are good places to start so you can feel like you're doing something about it while you work past the fear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When do you use the perfect tense? [ 2 Answers ]

Which sentence is correct? She had eaten before her mother came home Or She ate before her mother came home.

Verb tense agreement [ 1 Answers ]

All equipment will be provided or is it all equipments will be provided

Tense agreement [ 2 Answers ]

WHICH IS CORRECT? (Watch the tense shift.) "She sometimes needed reminders to keep the talk focused on the novel. Her art demonstrates her ability to reflect on fictional characters. Her self-portrait as a mouse is a dramatic composition, inspired by Despereaux." OR "She sometimes needed...

Verb tense [ 3 Answers ]

This is the sentence I need to correct. Right now, we imported more goods than we exported. This is my correction , am I right? Right now, we have imported more goods than we exported.

Regarding simple future tense [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What will be the simple future tense of I did not meet the principal yesterday You have to learn driving very soon

View more questions Search