Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wondering_tx Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Apr 7, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Am I over-prescribed?
    I am a 49 year old female, healthy but recently my dr prescribed the following...
    Tandem plus capsule ( prescription multi vitamin for women) 1 cap a day
    Vitamin d3 2000 unit one tablet per day
    Caltrate 600+d one per day
    And 1 injection of vitamin b12 (one injection per week for 4 weeks than one monthly thereafter.

I have been reading that you can overdose on vitamin d and in some cases it can be serious, also reading the side affects is not pretty. I am having headaches and a new itchy feeling just on my face, should I be concerned? My dr is known for over prescribing so it never does me any good to ask her because as long as she's selling a med she's not going to tell you not to take it as far as I can tell!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2011, 01:07 PM

Please don't post in caps - it's the same as shouting at us.

Why are you prescribed all of these vitamins? What is prescribed varies greatly due to various physical conditions and illnesses. I would not continue to treat with a Doctor "known" for over prescribing.

If you do not trust your Doctor, get a second opinion.

Apr 8, 2011, 07:39 AM
    Sorry about the caps. More annoying than caps however is someone who spell checks and points out the use of caps on a regular basis!:) I am trying to change Dr's it's just not that easy to change when you are military and have a process to go through when changing your primary caregiver. I guess the prescripts are partly to do with my quitting smoking and getting my health back in order. I figure the B12 is for metabolism, and the rest is for bone health etc, it all makes sense it just sounded like very high doses to me! Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2011, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering_tx View Post
    Sorry about the caps. More annoying than caps however is someone who spell checks and points out the use of caps on a regular basis!:) I am trying to change Dr's it's just not that easy to change when you are military and have a process to go thru when changeing your primary caregiver. I guess the prescripts are partly to do with my quitting smoking and getting my health back in order. I figure the B12 is for metabolism, and the rest is for bone health etc, it all makes sense it just sounded like very high doses to me! Thanks

I don't make up the use of caps rules - it's AMHD policy.

Ask the Doctor why all the medication --
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 8, 2011, 09:45 AM

How much Vitamin D do you get in the injection? Four to five thousand a day have been determined to be no problem. The B12 injection (which protects you from a lot of things) and Caltrate sound reasonable.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2011, 10:06 AM

Hello wondering:

I don't think you're wondering at all. If you truly were, at the very FIRST suggestion that your doctor has HER interests at heart instead of YOURS, would be all the wondering you'd need to do. Interestingly, it was YOU who first made the suggestion about her...

Then, when your suspicions were CONFIRMED by Judy, you poo, poo the answer and go back to asking about vitamins... If it was ME, and it was MY body at risk, I don't care HOW hard it would be to change providers, I'd DO it.

excon

Apr 8, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Wondergirl: The only vitamin injected is the B12, everything else is tablet form. Vitamin D3 is 2000 units per day, and then a Vitamin D with Calcium which is 600/600 once a day, then the Tanden Plus. I also read that some studies say 10k units a day is OK. I just always get worried when I am taking mutiple prescripts. My daughter is a nurse and I had her ask her Dr (she's a real Doctor not trying to be one on here like some people (see above and below) Be careful one of them says her computer yells at her! I appreciate that you took my question seriously. This Dr is fairly new to me, so as for the S.A. remark above ( EXCON) I am very concerned, but did not want to get a Dr in trouble on heresay or just a worry. I'd like to get more info. Unlike some people I am not out to hurt a Dr's career, nor get sue happy. I'm asking questions and found one respectable person on her and that is you. I appreciate that very much. Thanks again.

Apr 8, 2011, 09:00 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Hey Excon, I can tell your not a professional, but thanks for your wonderful advice. My Dr is fairly new to me so rather than jumping on the old lady gossip bandwagon and possibly get a Dr in trouble, I decided I would ask questions first. I have nothing to go on but heresay about her which in my books isn't enough to possibly ruin her career. When I saw my prescripts and saw all the Vitamin D I got concerned. That's all, all I wanted to know was is it a lethal dose or not. I got my answer from a real expert, not a pretend expert who probably also believes his/her computer yells at him/her. Good luck with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I take non prescribed antibiotics while on probation [ 4 Answers ]

I am sick, and without any insurance or a job... I have recently been notified to see a probation officer for unrelated reason but feel like I can't even leave my house. I need to see the doctor, but do not want to go, for reasons you can see. If I have a friend who has antibiotics and will give to...

Have Tachacardia prescribed stimulant [ 15 Answers ]

I have tachycardia and I worked for a Phyciatrist. He was sure I have ADD/ADHD. I told him I had tachycardia. He first gave me Adderall which made me moody , raised my blood pressure and heart rate. I told him all of this and he ordered an EKG and changed me to Dexedrine. EKG came back saying...

Prescribed meds [ 3 Answers ]

HI I have been taking xannax for years and I got pregnant and quit... well I had a really bad experience about 3 days ago and took a half of 1 mg pill.. now I am very concerned about how long this will stay in mine and the baby's system, from all the dcf horror storys I've been hearing. I know I...

Can my headache be from my prescribed decongestant [ 1 Answers ]

I have the decongestent DuraphenII prescribed to me and one of the side effects is headaches. Well I have had a headache for three days could it be that medicine and will it quit?:(

View more questions Search