Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nuhochka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 12:58 AM
    Deportation
    Hi, my name is Tatiana. My boyfriend got convicted for bank fraud. He served time in federal prison and on January 14 was officially released. Deportation was part of his sentence, so immigration took him. They were supposed to contact Russian embassy for removal papers but 2 months later I talked to the embassy and they never heard about him. For some reason he was transferred back to federal prison for over-held inmates. Both of his passports got lost in process. And report was filed just now. For Russian side it will take long time to prove his Russian citizenship. So, for how long they can hold him in prison. Is there a term after with he supposed to be released and wait for deportation
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 7, 2011, 04:27 AM
    Without a very good lawyer he may linger for months. He really doesn't have much in the way of rights. You have no way of knowing who is telling you the truth (never heard of him, lost passport, etc.). For all anyone knows this is a message to Russians who commit bank fraud here - they are known for being good at it.

Paying people off may not happen in the US as much as in other parts of the world, but it does happen. I even know of people whose lawyer said 'for $300 I can get an expedited hearing' and it worked. And that was just a lowly house sale that had never gone through probate when a spouse died.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Apr 7, 2011, 06:21 AM

Consult with an experienced immigration attorney to see if he is eligible for habeas relief, he will still likely be in custody, but it would be with ICE rather than the Federal prison system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deportation [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband US citizen just get married to illigal immigrant and trying to get or already received the green card for his new 23 years old wife, he is fighting with me in the court to reduce or illuminate child support for his 2

My partners faces deportation, do I face deportation if I am EU citizen? [ 2 Answers ]

My partner has ILR and faces deportation. We are married and I am EU citizen. IF HE WILL BE DEPORTED, DOES IT MEAN THAT THAT I WILL BE TOO?

Deportation [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter father got deport for 6 years now he is a green card holder and was in the navy the time of his deportation I don't know if they give him a certain time out of the country but I think I heard him say it was banded for like he got I don't know if there is such thing but if in case yes or...

Deportation [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if a person was deported out of the states for ten years. But comes back illegal to the states after his ten years are up. Can he still get jail and if so for how long. Or can he still fight it ?

Possible deportation [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, in 2006 my 7 year old daughter was put in the state care, due to me not being from here and I could not work here, I traveled back and forth to my country to work. Now after 2 years we have finally been reunited, but she is still in the system and the worst part is she is autistic and I do not...

View more questions Search