Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimmie2011 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Not moved in yet.
    I have put a deposit down on a apartment in Feb. This apartment is not to be available until May 2011. There was never a lease signed or anything but was told that we do not give refund. If there is no lease signed and they have enough time to rent the apartment out, could they keep my money?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 05:51 PM

So... you give people money with nothing at all in writing?

WHY? You NEVER, EVER give people money without SOMETHING in writing. At this point you would have to be able to prove you even gave them money.
    kimmie2011 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 05:58 PM
    Well I do have copies of the money orders but no agreement of lease.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 06:06 PM

Without a lease to prove what it was for... they can claim it was for a gift or anything else and make you have to spend money to sue for it.

Seriously... never give anyone anything until there are papers ready to sign. You will eventually come across dishonest people that will take advantage of you.

Without papers to prove it was actually a refundable deposit... all they have to say was it was a non-refundable deposit. And Most deposits are non-refundable except in very specific circumstances, specified in writing. That's the reason for a deposit... to hold you to a commitment, or you forfeit something of value.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmie2011 View Post
    If there is no lease signed and they have enough time to rent the apartment out, could they keep my money?
    Hello k:

Having enough TIME to rent it, isn't the issue. It's whether they TRY to rent it and can't. If they TRY but it doesn't rent, even if there is time, they can keep your deposit... That is, of course, if it was YOU who cancelled, and not the landlord.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just moved into an apartment in the carpet wasn't cleaned before I moved in [ 4 Answers ]

My landlord said she is only cleaning the three room not four because of the special deal she got from the carpet cleaning company three room special can she do that am I responsiable for the other room

If a person on parole moved to my address then moved out doesn't the PO have to verify [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if my address is still being used and why this hasn't been verified by the PO its been a month

Moved Out [ 10 Answers ]

(Rambling) My boyfriend and I moved in together 6 months ago... as recent as two weeks ago he was excited about our marriage potential and working over for a ring... then all of a sudden he became cold and started staying out real late... always saying things like I'm not sure about getting...

I moved [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone I want to talk about when I moved away during this summer vacation from Varginia to Maryland and I miss all of my friend and now I feel so lonely even I going to school I feel that I have nobody at lunch I sit by myself I don't know what to do so I can forget about old days I just can...

He moved away [ 19 Answers ]

I was dating my boyfriend for a few months and everything was great. He decided to move away to another province and I would eventually move there too. I kept asking him on msn when he was far away in europe visiting family if he knew what we were going to do, and he kind of brushed things off. He...

View more questions Search