Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Getting some of Owen's shampoo in his mouth.
    While I was at work Hubby gave Owen his weekly bath. He is using Vet Solutions Canadian Medicated Shampoo (prescribed by vet). Active ingredients are : Sulfur(from Sodium Thiosulfate)2% w/v; Salicylic Acid USP 2% w/v

Owen is drooling more than normal and that is the only thing that is different about him. Hubby says he got some in his mouth he thinks due to the fact his chin area was worse than normal for his skin problems so he used more shampoo there. I have googled the product and read the bottle. The only info I see is it can not come in contact with his eyes.

We have been keeping an eye on him. He is using bathroom normally, active, eating and drinking. Do I need to be worried? When should I be worried? Or is this just the fact of his mouth tastes like crap and it will get better, kind of like when we got our mouths washed out with soap.

Susan and Owen
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2011, 04:32 PM

Just think of when you got soap in your mouth. It tastes nasty! Dogs get rid of things by drooling.

He will be fine. If he is still drooling tomorrow, call your vet. He'd have to swallow a huge portion of the shampoo for it to do anything to him.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 04:37 PM

Thank you Lucky! I was concerned where it was medicated shampoo, was not sure if that would make a difference.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 7, 2011, 09:02 AM

I know you talked to uncle but was unsure if he remembered to tell you it was his medicated shampoo.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 7, 2011, 01:39 PM

I am sure he would be fine. Like Lucky mentioned he would have had to ingest a whole whack of the stuff. Just make sure he has plenty of fresh water at his disposal. Watch for the regular warning sign, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, if you see any of these symptoms it's time to call the vet. Other wise I think he will be okay ;)
    Dogs Expert

Apr 7, 2011, 02:04 PM

Owen update:

He is fine today no excessive drooling. He is being his usual self- playing, wanting attention, etc. Thank you guys for your advice.

Susan and Owen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a distressing mouth odour.I have gone to physician who washed my mouth but it' [ 2 Answers ]

I have a distressing mouth odour that any time I talk in front of people,they will start rubbing their nose.This is really affecting my social life strongly.I went to a physician who washed my gum but it's still persisting.It's like the odour is from my breath.Please,what do I do.This is seriously...

Dove Shampoo [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I've seen the commercial advertising the new Dove Shampoo. You know the one that is suppose to be for damaged hair and make it smooth and shiny? I'm wondering if anyone has tried this shampoo and if it works for you.

Best shampoo [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there please can anyone tell me the best shampoo(s) to use to make my hair colour fade I have a medicated shampoo called polytar, will this be any good, maybe pantene clarifying shampoo or can anyone recommend anything better I live in the uk so its almost impossible to get prell shampoo please...

Shampoo [ 10 Answers ]

Is it true that you should change shampoos every once in a while, because your hair gets used to the shampoo? And if so, is this true even if you're already using an expensive salon shampoo? Thanks.

View more questions Search